Arshi Noor | Legistify

Arshi Noor
Answered on 30 Mar 2020

The legal age for a boy to get married is 21 years. you cannot get married.Read More

Posted on 26 Feb 2020 | 1 Answer

Arshi Noor | Legistify

Arshi Noor
Answered on 12 Mar 2020

Inter-faith marriages must be registered under the Special Marriage Act 1954 for validity.  Read More

Posted on 11 Mar 2020 | 1 Answer

Team Legistify | Legistify

Team Legistify
Answered on 18 Feb 2020

Yes, such a marriage can be done under the Special Marriage Act, without the need to convert to a different religion.Read More

Posted on 04 Jan 2020 | 1 Answer

Team Legistify | Legistify

Team Legistify
Answered on 09 Jan 2020

No, a contested divorce petition can be filed to end the inter-faith marriage. Conversion will not end the marriage. You need to consult a divorce lawyer in India to file your divorce.Read More

Posted on 12 Jul 2019 | 1 Answer

Ayaskanta Parida | Legistify

Ayaskanta Parida
Answered on 31 Dec 2019

Polygamy is allowed only under Islamic Personal Law in India and certain Hindu sects. Your marriage is possible only under Muslim Personal Law and not the Special Marriage Act.Read More

Posted on 30 Dec 2019 | 1 Answer

Team Legistify | Legistify

Team Legistify
Answered on 13 Nov 2018

If the man and woman are of valid age to get marriage i.e. the man is aged 21 years or more and the woman is aged 18 years or more, they can get married even if their families or parents do not consent to it. There are 2 ways in which a marriage in such situation can be performed- Court Marriage under the Special Marriage Act or Arya Samaj Marriage.  In case the consenting adults belong to different religions, they can apply for a court marriage with the Registrar having jurisdiction over the area where they live. Anyone can get married under the Special Marriage Act, irrespective of religion, faith or caste. Process of Court Marriage A notice in writing is submitted with the marriage officer of the district where either of the parties has resided for the past 30 days. After receiving the court marriage application, the Marriage Registrar gives a 30 days notice period for objections against the marriage. Once the 30-day period is over and no objections are received, the marriage is solemnised and the marriage certificate is granted. READ: Special Marriages in India The other way is to perform an Arya Samaj Marriage. Only Hindus or converts to Hinduism can get married in Arya Samaj Mandir. Arya Samaj Marriage procedure is completed within 1-2 hours only, but an application must be filed at least 2-3 days in advance. It is a simpler process and does not involve any tough formalities. After the marriage is solemnised, the mandir grants an Arya Samaj Marriage certificate. The bride and groom can then obtain a marriage certificate on the basis of this certificate. MUST READ: The Concept And Procedure Of Arya Samaj MarriageRead More

Posted on 03 Oct 2018 | 2 Answers

Team Legistify | Legistify

Team Legistify
Answered on 29 Nov 2019

Yes, a Hindu girl can marry a Muslim boy legally through court marriage. Also, it is not necessary for the girl to change her religion at the time of marriage and such a marriage is done under the provisions of the Special Marriage Act,1954.Read More

Posted on 27 Nov 2019 | 1 Answer

Aayushi Sang | Legistify

Aayushi Sang
Answered on 23 Aug 2019

Yes, you can perform a court marriage irrespective of your religion. The age of the bridegroom must be at least 21 and the bride must be at least 18 years of age at the time of marriage. This is the minimum age limit for a boy/girl to marry, respectively, under the Indian law. Unlike traditional marriages, the Special Marriage Act doesn’t require any extravagance, show or pomp. All you require for a valid marriage under this Act is the consent of both the parties to the marriage. If both the parties are ready to marry each other, that will do.Following are some of the steps to register and marry under the Special Marriage Act. You need to submit an application in writing to the marriage officer of the district where either of the parties has resided for the past 30 days. The marriage officer gives a 30 days notice period to accept objections on the marriage of the intended parties. If there are no objections then marriage officer is required to maintain a marriage notice book which contains all the details of the intended marriage. With no objections, the marriage can be solemnised after the passing of 30 days from the date on which such notice has been published at the office of the marriage officer. The marriage officer enters all the details in the marriage notice book which should be signed by the parties and three witnesses.Read More

Posted on 06 Aug 2019 | 1 Answer

Advocate Vabhav | Legistify

Advocate Vabhav
Answered on 12 May 2019

With respect to your query, the legal opinion is as under:- (1) Marriage can be solemenized by two adult persons as per their sweet will (2) As your friend is already married, so the only way to get into valid marriage with him is that you adopt islam and only therafter you can marry him because Muslim Law provides second marriage even while subsistence of previous marriage. (3) As Hindu you cannot marry him under Special Marriaga Act because neither of the spouse must have a living wife or husband if marriage is performed under Special Marriage Act. (4) The Special Marriage Act permits marriage between members of two different religions but none of them should have a susbsisting marital status and should not have a living spouse. (5) In nutshlell, the only way to marry the muslim boy is that you also become muslim and convert your religion and therafter marry him. (6) Under personal Law, either Hindu Law or Muslim Law, marriage between a muslim and hindu is not validRead More

Posted on 09 May 2019 | 1 Answer

Team Legistify | Legistify

Team Legistify
Answered on 28 Sep 2018

Some of the states in the Indian Union have enacted legislations to make marriage registration compulsory; These states are Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Goa, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, and Maharashtra.Registration of marriage is optional in other states.After you marry the PIO/NRI, you must register the marriage at the office ofthe Registrar in India before you/your husband leave the country. The marriage certificate issued by the Registrars’ office and a copy of it should be kept withyou and your family in India. -Please keep adequate proof like marriage photographs, wedding invitation, copy of the husbands’ passport driving license, any other ID proof issued by the foreign country, visa address proof of both bride and groom etc. -Please remember the following points -Marriage registration certificate should be carried at all times. -Doing all the paperwork for issue of visa and other required formalities at your end- keep all the original papers with yourself. - Affidavit from the spouse stating present marital status. - Visit with a health/comprehensive insurance policy before arriving in the foreign country. - Keep your passport with you in the foreign country and at least one copy of the passport.  Read More

Posted on 13 Jun 2016 | 1 Answer