RTI To Know About Assets And Liabilities Of Election Candidate
Can we ask for the election affidavit of a candidate under RTI to know about their assets and liabilities?
- Sector-1, Noida
Every candidate willing to contest the election to the Parliament or a State Legislature has to submit certain documents to the returning officer.
Check List of documents to be submitted
The following checklist of documents must be submitted by every contesting candidate.
- Nomination paper in Form 2A for Lok Sabha election and Form 2B for Assembly election.
- Affidavit in Form 26 with all the columns filled up and sworn before an Oath Commissioner or Magistrate of First Class or before a Notary Public.
- This includes details of pending criminal cases, movable & immovable assets including foreign assets, liabilities, sources of income, educational qualification etc.
- Certified extract of electoral roll (when a candidate is an elector of a different constituency)
- Form A and Form B (applicable in the case of candidates set up by political parties)
- Copy of Caste certificates (if the candidate claims to belong to SC/ST)
- Security deposit
- Oath and affirmation
The details you seek can be obtained by an RTI to the ECI.
Answered on 18 Feb 2020
Didn't find the answer you are looking for?
Talk to experienced lawyer online and get your answered in minutes.