Evicted By Matrimonial Home By Husband And Mother-In-Law

I have been evicted from my matrimonial house. Do I have the right to residence in that house as the registry is at my mother-in-law's name?

Answer (1)

Karishma Pandit

  • Sector-1, Noida

Yes, you have the right to stay in your matrimonial house whether the registry is in the name of your mother-in-law. Your spouse cannot evict you from the marital home because you are not a tenant. As a spouse, you have a right to reside in the marital home, unless and until a court awards your spouse exclusive use and possession of the home. This can ordinarily only be done pursuant to a divorce.

Answered on 21 Oct 2019

Was this answer helpful?

Yes   No

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Talk to experienced lawyer online and get your answered in minutes.