Can a girl ask for equal share in parents property?

I thought that Indian women have equal share in parents property. But my brother tells me that the women get share from the parents share. Suppose parents have 3 sons and 2 daughters, they divide into 4 parts(3 sons + parents)and the daughters have the right to ask for parents share(1/4 th). Is that true?

Answer (1)

Team Legistify

  • Sector-1, Noida

In India as per Hindu Succession Act, even a girl is eligible for equal share in the property. However, since you have not specified your religion i would not be able to advice you specifically. However, if u don't belong to a hindu undivided family and are a Hindu by birth, your brother is wrong, because you will be able to claim equal rights in the property.

Answered on 28 Sep 2018

Was this answer helpful?

Yes   No

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Talk to experienced lawyer online and get your answered in minutes.