Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972. 3[(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.] (3) It shall c...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,- (1) "animal" includes amphibians, birds, mammals and reptiles and their young, and also includes, in the...
Appointment of Director and other officers
(1) The Central Government may, for the purposes of this Act, appoint,- (a) A Director of Wild Life Preservation; (b) Assistant Directors of Wild Life Preser...
Appointment of Life Warden and other officers
(1) The State Government may, for the purposes of this Act, appoint,- (a) a Chief Wild Life Warden; (b) Wild Life Wardens; 9[***] 10[(bb) one Honorary Wild L...
Power to delegate
(1) The Director may, with the previous approval of the Central Government, by order in writing, delegate all or any of his powers and duties under this Act t...
Constitution of Wild Life Advisory Board
(1) The State Government, or, in the case of a Union territory, the Administrator, shall, as soon as may be after the commencement of this Act, constitute a W...
Procedure to be followed by the Board
(1) The Board shall meet at least twice a year at such place as the State Government may direct. (2) The Board shall regulate its own procedure (including the...
Duties of Wild Life Advisory Board
It shall be the duty of the Wild Life Advisory Board to advise the State Government,- (a) in the selection of areas to be declared as sanctuaries, National Pa...
|Chapter III||Hunting Of Wild Animals|
Prohibition of hunting
No person shall hunt any wild animal specified in Schedules I, II, III and IV except as provided under section 11 and section 12.]18[***]...
Hunting of wild animals to be permitted in certain cases
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force and subject to the provisions of Chapter IV,- (a) the Chief Wild Life Ward...
Grant of permit for special purposes
Notwithstanding anything contained elsewhere in this Act, it shall be lawful for the Chief Wild Life Warden, to grant 19[***] a permit, by an order in writing...
Prohibition of picking, uprooting, etc. of specified plant
Save as otherwise provided in this Chapter, no person shall- (a) willfully pick, uproot, damage, destroy, acquire or collect any specified plant from any fore...
Grants of permit for special purposes
The Chief Wild Life Warden may, with the previous permission of the State Government, grant to any person a permit to pick, uproot, acquire or collect from a ...
Cultivation of specified plants without license prohibited
(1) No person shall cultivate a specified plant except under and in accordance with a license granted by the Chief Wild Life Warden or any other officer autho...
Dealing in specified plants without license prohibited
(1) No person shall, except under and in accordance with a license granted by the Chief Wild Life Warden or any other officer authorized by the State Governme...
Declaration of stock
(1) Every person cultivating, or dealing in, a specified plant or part or derivative thereof shall, within thirty days from the date of commencement of the Wi...
Possession, etc., of plants by licensee
No licensee under this Chapter shall- (a) keep in his control, custody or possession- (i) any specified plant, or part or derivative thereof in respect of wh...
Purchase, etc., of specified plants
No person shall purchase, receive or acquire any specified plant or part or derivative thereof otherwise than from a licensed dealer:Provided that nothing in...
Plants to be Government property
(1) Every specified plant or part or derivative thereof, in respect of which any offence against this Act or any rule or order made thereunder has been commit...
Declaration of sanctuary
26[(1) The State Government may, by notification, declare its intention to constitute any area other than an area comprised within any reserve forest or the t...
Collector to determine rights
27[When a notification has been issued under section 18] the controller shall inquire into, and determine, the existence, nature and extent of the rights of a...
Bar of accrual of rights
After the issue of a notification under section 18, no right shall be acquired in, on or over the land comprised within the limits of the area specified in su...
Proclamation by Collector
When a notification has been issued under section 18, the Collector shall publish in the regional language in every town and village in or in the neighborhood...
Inquiry by Collector
The Collector shall, after service of the prescribed notice upon the claimant, expeditiously inquire into- (a) the claim preferred before him under clause (b...
Powers of Collector
For the purpose of such inquiry, the Collector may exercise the following powers, namely:- (a) the power to enter in or upon any land and to survey, demarcate...
Acquisition of rights
(1) In the case of a claim to a right in or over any land referred to in section 19, the Collector shall pass an order admitting or rejecting the same in whol...
(1) For the purpose of acquiring such land, or rights in or over such land,- (a) the Collector shall be deemed to be a Collector, proceeding under the Land A...
Delegation of Collector's powers
The State Government may, by general or special order, direct that the powers exercisable or the functions to be performed by the Collector under sections 19 ...
Declaration of area as sanctuary
(1) When- (a) a notification has been issued under section 18 and the period for preferring claims has elapsed, and all claims, if any, made in relation to a...
Restriction on entry in sanctuary
(1) No person other than,- (a) a public servant on duty, (b) a person who has been permitted by the Chief Wild Life Warden or the authorized officer to resi...
Grant of permit
(1) The Chief Wild Life Warden may, on application, grant to any person a permit to enter or reside in a sanctuary for all or any of the following purposes, n...
Destruction, etc., in a sanctuary prohibited without permit
No person shall destroy, exploit or remove any wild life from a sanctuary or destroy or damage the habitat of any wild animal or deprive any wild animal of ...
Causing fire prohibited
No person shall set fire to a sanctuary, or kindle any fire, or leave any fire burning, in a sanctuary, in such manner as to endanger such sanctuary....
Prohibition of entry into sanctuary with weapon
No person shall enter a sanctuary with any weapon except with the previous permission in writing of the Chief Wild Life Warden or the authorized officer....
Ban on use of injurious substances
No person shall use, in a sanctuary, chemicals, explosives or any other substances which may cause injury to or endanger, any wild life in such sanctuary....
Control of sanctuaries
The Chief Wild Life Warden shall be the authority who shall control, manage and maintain all sanctuaries and for that purpose, within the limits of any sanctu...
Immunisation of live-stock
(1) The Chief Wild Life Warden shall take such measures in such manner, as may be prescribed, for immunization against communicable diseases of the live-stock...
Registration of certain persons in possession of arms
(1) Within three months from the declaration of any area as a sanctuary, every person residing in or within ten kilometers of any such sanctuary and holding a...
Declaration of National Parks
(1) Whenever it appears to the State Government that an area, whether within a sanctuary or not, is, by reason of its ecological, faunal, floral, geomorpholog...
Declaration of closed area
(1) The State Government may, by notification, declare any area closed to hunting for such period as may be specified in the notification. (2) No hunting of a...
Power of Central Government to declare areas as sanctuaries or National Parks
(1) Where the State Government leases or otherwise transfers any area under its control, not being an area within a sanctuary, to the Central Government, the ...
|Chapter IVA||Central Zoo Authority And Recognition Of Zoos|
Constitution of Central Zoo Authority
(1) The Central Government shall constitute a body to be known as the Central Zoo Authority (hereinafter in this Chapter referred to as the Authority), to exe...
Term of office and conditions of service of Chairperson and members, etc
(1) The chairperson and every member shall hold office for such period, not exceeding three years, as may be specified by the Central Government in this behal...
Functions of the Authority
The Authority shall perform the following functions, namely:- (a) specify the minimum standards for housing, upkeep and veterinary care of the animals kept i...
Procedure to be regulated by the Authority
(1) The Authority shall meet as and when necessary and shall meet at such time and place as the chairperson may think fit. (2) The Authority shall regulate i...
Grants and loans to Authority and Constitution of Fund.
(1) The Central Government may, after due appropriation made by Parliament by law in this behalf, make to the Authority grants and loans of such sums of money...
The Authority shall prepare in such form and at such time, for each financial year, as may be prescribed, its annual report, giving a full account of its acti...
Annual report and audit report to be laid before Parliament
The Central Government shall cause the annual report together with a memorandum of action taken on the recommendations contained therein, in so far as they re...
Recognition of zoos
(1) No zoo shall be operated without being recognized by the Authority: that a zoo being operated immediately before the date of commencement of the Wild Life...
Acquisition of animals by a zoo
Subject to the other provisions of this Act no zoo shall acquire or transfer any wild animal specified in Schedule I and Schedule II except with the previous ...
Prohibition of teasing, etc., in a zoo
No person shall tease, molest, injure or feed any animal or cause disturbance to the animals by noise or otherwise or litter the grounds in a zoo.]...
|Chapter V||Trade Or Commerce In Wild Animals, Animal Articles And Trophies|
Wild animals, etc., to be Government property
(1) Every- (a) wild animal, other than vermin, which is hunted under section 11 or sub-section (1) of section 29 or sub-section (6) of section 35 or kept or ...
(1) Every person having at the commencement of this Act the control, custody or possession of any captive animal specified in Schedule I or Part II of Schedul...
Inquiry and preparation of inventories
(1) On receipt of a declaration made under section 40, the Chief Wild Life Warden or the authorized officer may, after such notice, in such manner and at such...
Certificate of ownership
The Chief Wild Life Warden may, for the purposes of section 40, issue a certificate of ownership in such form, as may be prescribed, to any person who, in his...
Regulation of transfer of animal, etc
(1) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (2), sub-section (3) and sub-section (4), a person (other than a dealer) who does not possess a certificate of ow...
Dealings in trophy and animal articles without license prohibited
(1) 47[Subject to the provisions of Chapter VA, no person shall, except under, and in accordance with, a license granted under sub-section (4)]- (a) commence ...
Suspension or cancellation of licenses
Subject to any general or special order of the State Government, the Chief Wild Life Warden or the authorized officer may, for reasons to be recorded by him i...
(1) An appeal from an order refusing to grant or renew a license under section 44 or an order suspending or canceling a license under section 45 shall lie- (a...
Maintenance of records
A licensee under this Chapter shall- (a) keep records, and submit such returns of his dealings, as may be prescribed,- (i) to the Director or any other offi...
Purchase of animal, etc., by licensee
No licensee under this Chapter shall- (a) keep in his control, custody or possession,- (i) any animal, animal articles, trophy or uncured trophy in respect o...
Restriction on transportation of wild life
No person shall accept any wild animal (other than vermin), or any animal article, or any specified plant or part or derivative thereof, for transportation ex...
Purchase of captive animal, etc., by a person other than a licensee
No person shall purchase, receive or acquire any captive animal, wild animal, other than vermin, or any animal article, trophy, uncured trophy or meat derived...
|Chapter VA||Prohibition Of Trade Or Commerce In Trophies, Animal Articles, Etc. Derived From Certain Animals|
In this Chapter,- (a) "scheduled animal" means an animal specified for the time being in Schedule I or Part II of Schedule II; (b) "scheduled animal article...
Prohibition of dealings in trophies, animal articles, etc., derived from scheduled animals
(1) Subject to the other provisions of this section, on and after the specified date, no person shall,-(a) commence or carry on the business as- (i) a manufac...
Declaration by dealers
(1) Every person carrying on the business or occupation referred to in sub-section (1) of section 49B shall, within thirty days from the specified date, decla...
Power of entry, search, arrest and detention
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, the Director or any other officer authorized by him in this behalf or the...
(1) Any person who 65[contravenes any provision of this Act 66[(except Chapter VA and section 38J)]] any rule or order made thereunder or who commits a breach...
Attempts and abetment
Whoever attempts to contravene, or abets the contravention of, any of the provisions of this Act or of any rule or order made thereunder shall be deemed to ha...
Punishment for wrongful seizure
If any person, exercising powers under this Act, vexatiously and unnecessarily seizes the property of any other person on the pretence of seizing it for the r...
Power to compound offence
(1) 69[The Central Government may, by notification, empower the Director of Wild Life Preservation or any other officer and the State Government] may, by not...
Cognizance of offences
No court shall take cognizance of any offence against this Act except on the complaint of any person other than- (a) the Director of Wild Life Preservation o...
Operation of other laws not barred
Nothing in this Act shall be deemed to prevent any person from being prosecuted under any other law for the time being in force, for any act or omission which...
Presumption to be made in certain cases
Where, in any prosecution for an offence against this Act, it is established that a person is in possession, custody or control of any captive animal, animal ...
Offences by companies
(1) Where an offence against this Act has been committed by a company, every person who, at the time the offence was committed, was in charge of, and was resp...
Officers to be public servants
Every officer referred to 72[in Chapter II and the chairperson, members, member-secretary and other officers and employees referred to in Chapter IVA] and eve...
Protection of action taken in good faith
(1) No suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie against any officer or other employee of the Central Government or the State Government for anyth...
Reward to persons
(1) When a court imposes a sentence of fine or a sentence of which fine forms a part, the court may, when passing judgment, order that the reward be paid to a...
Power to alter entries in Schedules
(1) The Central Government may, if it is of opinion that it is expedient so to do, by notification, 75[add or delete any entry to or from any Schedule] or tr...
Declaration of certain wild animals to be vermin
79[The Central Government] may, by notification, declare any wild animal other than those specified in Schedule I and Part II of Schedule II to be vermin for ...
Power of Central Government to make rules
80[(1) The Central Government may, by notification, make rules for all or any of the following matters, namely:- (a) conditions and other matters subject to ...
Power of State Government to make rules
(1) The State Government may, by notification, make rules for carrying out the provisions of this Act in respect of matters which do not fall within the purvi...
Rights of Scheduled Tribes to be protected
Nothing in this Act shall affect the human rights conferred on the Scheduled Tribes of the Nicobar Islands in the Union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islan...
Repeal and savings
(1) As from the commencement of this Act, every other Act relating to any matter contained in this Act and in force in a State shall, to the extent to which t...
(See sections 2, 8, 9, 11, 40, 41, 43, 48, 51, 61 and 62)1. Binturong (Arctictis binturong).2. Black Duck (Antelope cervicapra).3. Brow-antlered deer or Thamin...
1. Crocodiles (including the Estuarne or salt water crocodile) (Crocodilus porosus and Crocodilus palustris).2. Gharial (Gavialis gangeticus)....
1. Bazas (Aviceda jeordoni and Aviceda leuphotes).2. Cheer Pheasant (Catreus wallichii).3. Great Indian Bustard (Choriotis nigriceps).4. Great Indian Hornbill (...
(See sections 2, 8, 9, 10, 11,40, 41, 43, 48, 51, 61 and 62)special game1. Agra Monitor Lizard [Varanus griseus (Daudin)]2. Bengal Porcupine (Atherurus macrou...
1. Leopard or Panther (Panthera pardus).2. Nilgiri langur (Presbytis johni).3. Nilgiri Thar (Hemitragus hylocrius)....
(See sections 2, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 61)big game1. Andaman Wild Pig (Sus andamanensis).2. Barking deer or Muntjac (Muntiacus muntjak).3. Bharal (Ovis nahura).4. C...
(See sections 2, 8, 9 11 and 61)small game1. Desert cat (Felis libyca).2. Desert fox (Vulpes bucopus).3. Ermine (Mustela erminea).4. Hares (Black naped, Common ...
(See sections 2, 8, 61 and 62)Vermin1. Common crow.2. Common fox.3. Fruit bats.4. Jackal.5. Mice.6. Rats 7. Voles....