Short title and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the University Grants Commission Act, 1956. (2) It shall come into force on such date 2* as the Central Government may, by notific...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,- (a) "Commission" means the University Grants Commission established under section 4; (b) "executive auth...
Application of Act to institutions for higher studies other than Universities
The Central Government may, on the advice of the Commission, declare, by notification in the Official Gazette, that any institution for higher education, oth...
Establishment of the Commission
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, there shall be established a Commission by the...
Composition of the Commission
(1) The Commission shall consist of- (i) a Chairman, (ii) a Vice-Chairman, and (iii)ten other members, to be appointed by the Central Government. (2) The Cha...
Terms and conditions of service of members
[(1) A person appointed as Chairman, Vice-Chairman or other member after the commencement of the University Grants Commission (Amendment) Act, 1985 (70 of 19...
Meetings of the Commission
The Commission shall meet at such times and places and shall observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings as may b...
Vacancies amongst members or defect in constitution not to invalidate acts or proceedings of the Commission
No act or proceedings of the Commission shall be deemed to be invalid by reason merely of any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Commission...
Temporary association of persons with the Commission for particular purposes
(1) The Commission may associate with itself, in such manner and for such purposes as may be determined by regulations made under this Act, any person whose ...
Staff of the Commission
Subject to such rules as may be made by the Central Government in this behalf, the Commission may appoint a Secretary and such other employees as it may think...
Authentication of orders and other instruments of the Commission
All orders and decisions of the Commission shall be authenticated by the signature of the Chairman or any other member authorized by the Commission in this b...
Functions of the Commission
It shall be the general duty of the Commission to take, in consultation with the Universities or other bodies concerned, all such steps as it may think fit fo...
Consequences of failure of Universities to comply with recommendations of the Commission
If any University 1*[grants affiliation in respect of any course of study to any college referred to in sub-section (5) of section 12A in contravention of the...
Payment to the Commission
The Central Government may, after due appropriation made by Parliament by law in this behalf, pay to the Commission in each financial year such sums as may be...
Fund of the Commission
(1) The Commission shall have its own Fund; and all sums which may, from time to time, be paid to it by the Central Government and all the receipts of the Com...
The commission shall prepare, in such form and at such time each year as may be prescribed, a budget in respect of the financial year next ensuing showing the...
The Commission shall prepare once every year, in such form and at such time as may be prescribed, an annual report giving a true and full account of its acti...
Account and Audit
(1) The commission shall cause to be maintained such books of account and other books in relation to its account in such form and in such manner as may, in c...
Directions by the Central Government
(1) In the discharge of its functions under this act, the commission shall be guided by such directions on questions of policy relating to national purposes a...
Returns and information
The Commission shall furnish to the Central Government such returns or other information with respect to its property or activities as the Central Government...
Right to confer degrees
(1) The right of conferring or granting degrees shall be exercised only by a University established or incorporated by or under a Central Act, a Provincial Ac...
Prohibition of the use of the word "University" in certain cases
No institution, whether a corporate body or not, other than a University established or incorporated by or under a Central Act, a Provincial Act or a State A...
Whoever contravenes the provisions of section 22 or section 23 shall be punishable with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees, and if the person contra...
Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the purposes of this Act. (2) In particular, and without pre...
Power to make regulations
(1) The Commission 1*[may, by notification in the Official Gazette make regulations] consistent with this Act and the rules made there under,- (a) regulating ...
Power to delegate
(1) The Commission may, 4*["by regulations made, by notification in the Official Gazette.] under this Act, delegate to its Chairman, Vice-Chairman or any of i...
Laying of rules and regulations before Parliament
Every rule and every regulation made under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament while it is in session,...