Short title, extent, commencement and provisions
1. This Act may be called the Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) Act, 2014.2. It extends to the whole of Indi...
1. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,—a. “appropriate Government” means in respect of matters relating to,— i....
|Chapter II||Regulation of Street Vending|
Survey of street vendors and protection from eviction or relocation
1. The Town Vending Committee shall, within such period and in such manner as may be specified in the scheme, conduct a survey of all existing street vend...
Issue of certificate of vending
1. Every street vendor, identified under the survey carried out under sub-section (1) of section 3, who has completed the age of fourteen years or such ag...
Conditions for issue of certificate of vending
1. Every street vendor shall give an undertaking to the Town Vending Committee prior to the issue of a certificate of vending under section 4, that—a. ...
Categories of certificate of vending and issue of identity cards
1. The certificate of vending shall be issued under any of the following categories, namely:—a. a stationary vendor;b. a mobile vendor; orc. ...
Criteria for issuing certificate of vending
The criteria to be followed by the Town Vending Committee for issuing certificate of vending to a street vendor shall be as specified in the scheme, which may...
Every street vendor who has been issued certificate of vending shall pay such vending fees as may be specified in the scheme....
Validity and renewal of certificate of vending
1. Every certificate of vending shall be valid for such period as may be specified in the scheme.2. Every certificate of vending shall be renewable f...
Cancellation or suspension of certificate of vending
Where a street vendor who has been issued a certificate of vending under this Act commits breach of any of the conditions thereof or any other terms and condi...
Appeal from decision of Town Vending Committee
1. Any person who is aggrieved by any decision of the Town Vending Committee with respect to issue of certificate of vending under section 6 or cancellati...
|Chapter III||Rights and Obligations of Street Vendors|
Rights of street vendor
1. Every street vendor shall have the right to carry on the business of street vending activities in accordance with the terms and conditions mentioned in...
Right of street vendor for a new site or area on relocation
Every street vendor, who possesses a certificate of vending, shall, in case of his relocation under section 18, be entitled for new site or area, as the case ...
Duty of street vendors
Where a street vendor occupies space on a time sharing basis, he shall remove his goods and wares every day at the end of the time-sharing period allowed to h...
Maintenance of cleanliness and public hygiene
Every street vendor shall maintain cleanliness and public hygiene in the vending zones and the adjoining areas....
Maintenance of civic amenities in vending zone in good condition
Every street vendor shall maintain civic amenities and public property in the vending zone in good condition and not damage or destroy or cause any damage or ...
Payment of maintenance charges
Every street vendor shall pay such periodic maintenance charges for the civic amenities and facilities provided in the vending zones as may be determined by t...
|Chapter IV||Relocation and Eviction of Street Vendors|
Relocation or eviction of street vendors
1. The local authority may, on the recommendations of the Town Vending Committee, declare a zone or part of it to be a no-vending zone for any public purp...
Seizure and reclaiming of goods
1. If the street vendor fails to vacate the place specified in the certificate of vending, after the lapse of the period specified in the notice given und...
|Chapter V||Dispute Redressal Mechanism|
Redressal of grievances or resolution of disputes of street vendors
1. The appropriate Government may constitute one or more committees consisting of a Chairperson who has been a civil judge or a judicial magistrate and tw...
|Chapter VI||Plan for Street Vending|
Plan for street vending
1. Every local authority shall, in consultation with the planning authority and on the recommendations of the Town Vending Committee, once in every five y...
|Chapter VII||Town Vending Committee|
Town Vending Committee
1. The appropriate Government may, by rules made in this behalf, provide for the term and the manner of constituting a Town Vending Committee in each loca...
Meetings of Town Vending Committee
1. The Town Vending Committee shall meet at such times and places within the jurisdiction of the local authority and shall observe such rules of procedure...
Temporary association of persons with Town Vending Committee for particular purposes
1. The Town Vending Committee may associate with itself in such manner and for such purposes, as may be prescribed, any person whose assistance or advice ...
Office space and other employees for Town Vending Committee
The local authority shall provide the Town Vending Committee with appropriate office space and such employees as may be prescribed....
|Chapter VIII||Prevention of Harassment of Street Vendors|
Prevention of harassment by police and other authorities
Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, no street vendor who carries on the street vending activities in accordance w...
|Chapter IX||Penal Provisions|
Penalty for contraventions
If any street vendor—a. indulges in vending activities without a certificate of vending;b. contravenes the terms of certificate of vending; orc. co...
Provisions of this Act, not to be construed as conferring ownership rights, etc.
1. Nothing contained in this Act shall be construed as conferring upon a street vendor any temporary, permanent or perpetual right of carrying out vending...
Every Town Vending Committee shall furnish, from time to time, to the appropriate Government and the local authority such returns as may be prescribed. ...
The appropriate Government may, in consultation with the Town Vending Committee, local authority, planning authority and street vendors associations or unions...
Research, training and awareness
The appropriate Government may, to the extent of availability of financial and other resources,—a. organise capacity building programmes to enable the str...
Act to have overriding effect
The provisions of this Act shall have effect notwithstanding anything inconsistent therein contained in any other law for the time being in force or in any in...
Powers to delegate
The appropriate Government may, by general or special order in writing, delegate such of its powers and functions under this Act (excluding the power to frame...
Power to amend Schedules
1. On the recommendations made by the appropriate Government or otherwise, if the Central Government is satisfied that it is necessary or expedient so to ...
Power to make rules
1. The appropriate Government shall, within one year from the date of commencement of this Act, by notification, make rules for carrying out the provision...
Power to make byelaws
Subject to the provisions of this Act or any rule or scheme made there under, the local authority may make bye-laws to provide for all or any of the following...
Scheme for street vendors
1. For the purposes of this Act, the appropriate Government shall frame a scheme, within six months from the date of commencement of this Act, after due c...
Power to remove difficulties
1. If any difficulty arises in giving effect to the provisions of this Act, the Central Government may, by order published in the Official Gazette, make s...
1. The plan for street vending shall,—a. ensure that all existing street vendors identified in the survey, subject to a norm conforming to two and ha...
Matters to be provided in the Scheme for Street Vendors framed by the appropriateGovernment:—a. the manner of conducting survey;b. the period within w...