Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Seeds Act, 1966.(2) It extends to the whole of India.(3) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, b...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-(1) "agriculture" includes horticulture;(2) "Central Seed Laboratory" means the Central Seed Laboratory e...
Central Seed Committee
(1) The Central Government shall, as soon as may be after the commencement of this Act, constitute a Committee called the Central Seed Committee to advise the...
Central Seed Laboratory and State Seed Laboratory
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish a Central Seed Laboratory or declare any seed laboratory as the Central See...
Power to notify kinds or varieties of seeds
If the Central Government, after consultation with the Committee, is of opinion that it is necessary or expedient to regulate the quality of seed of any kind ...
Power to specify minimum limits of germination and purity, etc.
The Central Government may, after consultation with the Committee and by notification in the Official Gazette, specify-(a) the minimum limits of germination an...
Regulation of sale of seeds of notified kinds or varieties
No person shall, himself or by any other person on his behalf, carry on the business of selling, keeping for sale, offering to sell, bartering or otherwise su...
The State Government or the Central Government in consultation with the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish a certificati...
The Central Seed Certification Board
(1) The Central Government shall, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish a Central Seed Certification Board (hereinafter referred to as the Board...
The Board may appoint as many Committees as it deems fit consisting wholly of the members of the Board or wholly of other persons or partly of members of the ...
Proceedings of Board or Committee not to be invalid by reason of any vacancy therein
No proceeding of the Board of any Committee thereof shall become invalid merely by reason of the existence of any vacancy therein or any defect in the Constit...
Procedure for Board
The Board may, subject to the previous approval of the Central Government, make bye-laws for the purpose of regulating its own procedure and the procedure of ...
Secretary and other officers
The Central Government shall(i) appoint a person to be the Secretary of the Board, and (ii) provide the Board with such technical and other staff as the Centr...
Grant of certificate by certification agency
(1) Any person selling, keeping for sale, offering to sell, bartering or otherwise supplying any seed of any notified kind or variety may, if desires to have ...
Revocation of Certificate
If the certification agency is satisfied, either on a reference made to it in this behalf or otherwise, that-(a) the certificate granted by it under section 9...
(1) Any person aggrieved by a decision of a certification agency under section 9 or section 10, may, within thirty days from the date on which the decision is...
The State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint such persons as it thinks fit, having the prescribed qualifications, to be Seed Ana...
(1) The State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint such persons as it thinks fit, having the prescribed qualifications, to be Seed...
Powers of Seed Inspector
(1) The Seed Inspector may-(a) take samples of any seed of any notified kind or variety from-(i) any person selling such seed; or(ii) any person who is in th...
Procedure to be followed by Seed Inspectors
(1) Whenever a Seed Inspector intends to take sample of any seed of any notified kind or variety for analysis, he shall-(a) give notice in writing, then and t...
Report of Seed Analyst
(1) The Seed Analyst shall, as soon as may be after the receipt of the sample under sub-section (2) of section 15, analyze the sample at the State Seed Labo...
Restriction on export and import of seeds of notified kinds or varieties
No person shall, for the purpose of sowing or planting by any person (including himself), export or import or cause to be exported or imported any seed of any...
Recognition of seed certification agencies of foreign countries
The Central Government may, on the recommendation of the Committee and by notification in the Official Gazette, recognize any seed certification agency establ...
If any person-(a) contravenes any provision of this Act or any rule made thereunder; or(b) prevents a Seed Inspector from taking sample under this Act; or(c) ...
Forfeiture of property
When any person has been convicted under this Act for the contravention of any of the provisions of this Act or the rules nude thereunder, the seed in respect...
Offences by companies Forfeiture of property
(1) Where an offence under this Act has been committed by a company, every person who at the time the offence was committed was in charge of, and was responsi...
Protection of action taken in good faith
No suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie against the Government or any officer of the Government for anything which is in good faith done or i...
Power to give directions
The Central Government may give such directions to any State Government as may appear to the Central Government to be necessary for carrying into execution in...
Nothing in this Act shall apply to any seed of any notified kind or variety grown by a person and sold or delivered by him on his own premises direct to anoth...
Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the purposes of this Act.(2) In particular and without prejud...
1. Inserted by Act No. 55 of 1972, w.e.f. 16th. January, 1973.2. Inserted by Act No. 55 of 1972, w.e.f. 16th. January, 1973.3. Substituted by Act No. 55 of 19...