An Act to provide for free and compulsory education to all children of the age of six to fourteen years. Be it enacted by Parliament in the Sixtieth Year of t...
Short title, extent and commencement
Chapter I: Preliminary 1. This Act may be called the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009.2. It shall extend to the who...
2. Definitions.- In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--a. "appropriate Government" means-- i. in relation to a scho...
|Chapter II||Right to Free and Compulsory Education|
Right of child to free and compulsory education
Chapter Ii: Right to Free and Compulsory Education 1. Every child of the age of six to fourteen years shall have a right to free and compulsory educati...
Special provisions for children not admitted to, or who have not completed, elementary education
4. Special provisions for children not admitted to, or who have not completed, elementary education.- Where a child above six years of age has not been admitt...
Right of transfer to other school
1. Where in a school, there is no provision for completion of elementary education, a child shall have a right to seek transfer to any other school, exc...
|Chapter III||Duties of Appropriate Government, Local Authority and Parents|
Duty of appropriate Government and local authority to establish school
Chapter III: Duties of Appropriate Government, Local Authority and Parents For carrying out the provisions of this Act, the appropriate Government and the l...
Sharing of financial and other responsibilities
7. Sharing of financial and other responsibilities.- 1. The Central Government and the State Governments shall have concurrent responsibility for provid...
Duties of appropriate Government
8. Duties of appropriate Government.- The appropriate Government shall--a. provide free and compulsory elementary education to every child:Provided that ...
Duties of local authority
Every local authority shall--a. provide free and compulsory elementary education to every child:Provided that where a child is admitted by his or her pa...
Duty of parents and guardian
10. Duty of parents and guardian.- It shall be the duty of every parent or guardian to admit or cause to be admitted his or her child or ward, as the case ma...
Appropriate Government to provide for pre-school education
11. Appropriate Government to provide for pre-school education.- With a view to prepare children above the age of three years for elementary education and to ...
|Chapter IV||Responsibilities of Schools and Teachers|
Extent of school's responsibility for free and compulsory education
Chapter IV: Responsibilities of Schools and Teachers12. Extent of school's responsibility for free and compulsory education.- 1. For the purposes of thi...
No capitation fee and screening procedure for admission
13. No capitation fee and screening procedure for admission.- 1. No school or person shall, while admitting a child, collect any capitation fee and subj...
Proof of age for admission
14. Proof of age for admission.- 1. For the purposes of admission to elementary education, the age of a child shall be determined on the basis of the bi...
No denial of admission
A child shall be admitted in a school at the commencement of the academic year or within such extended period as may be prescribed:Provided that no child sh...
Prohibition of holding back and expulsion
16. Prohibition of holding back and expulsion.- No child admitted in a school shall be held back in any class or expelled from school till the completion of ...
Prohibition of physical punishment and mental harassment to child
17. Prohibition of physical punishment and mental harassment to child.- 1. No child shall be subjected to physical punishment or mental harassment.2. ...
No School to be established without obtaining certificate of recognition
18. No School to be established without obtaining certificate of recognition.- 1. No school, other than a school established, owned or controlled by the ...
Norms and standards for school
1. No school shall be established,, or recognised, under section 18, unless it fulfils the norms and standards specified in the Schedule.2. Where a...
Power to amend Schedule
20. Power to amend Schedule.- The Central Government may, by notification, amend the Schedule by adding to, or omitting there from, any norms and standards...
School Management Committee
21. School Management Committee.- 1. A school, other than a school specified in sub-clause (iv) of clause (n) of section 2, shall constitute a School Ma...
School Development Plan
22. School Development Plan.- 1. Every School Management Committee, constituted under sub-section (1) of section 21, shall prepare a School Development ...
Qualifications for appointment and terms and conditions of service of teachers
23. Qualifications for appointment and terms and conditions of service of teachers.- 1. Any person possessing such minimum qualifications, as laid down b...
Duties of teachers and redressal of grievances
24. Duties of teachers and redressal of grievances.- 1. A teacher appointed under sub-section (1) of section 23 shall perform the following duties, name...
25. Pupil-Teacher Ratio.- 1. Within six months from the date of commencement of this Act, the appropriate Government and the local authority shall ensur...
Filling up vacancies of teachers
26. Filling up vacancies of teachers.- The appointing authority, in relation to a school established, owned, controlled or substantially financed by funds pr...
Prohibition of deployment of teachers for non-educational purposes
27. Prohibition of deployment of teachers for non-educational purposes.- No teacher shall be deployed for any non-educational purposes other than the decennia...
Prohibition of private tuition by teacher
28. Prohibition of private tuition by teacher.- No teacher shall engage himself or herself in private tuition or private teaching activity...
|Chapter V||Curriculum and Completion of Elementary Education|
Curriculum and evaluation procedure
Chapter V: Curriculum and Completion of Elementary Education29. Curriculum and evaluation procedure.- 1. The curriculum and the evaluation procedure for...
Examination and completion certificate
30. Examination and completion certificate.- 1. No child shall be required to pass any Board examination till completion of elementary education.2. ...
|Chapter VI||Protection of Right of Children|
Monitoring of child's right to education
Chapter VI: Protection of Right of Children 1. The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights constituted under section 3, or, as the case may ...
Redressal of grievances
32. Redressal of grievances.- 1. Notwithstanding anything contained in section 31, any person having any grievance relating to the right of a child unde...
Constitution of National Advisory Council
33. Constitution of National Advisory Council.- 1. The Central Government shall constitute, by notification, a National Advisory Council, consisting of ...
Constitution of State Advisory Council
34. Constitution of State Advisory Council.- 1. The State Government shall constitute, by notification, a State Advisory Council consisting of such numb...
Power to issue directions
Chapter VII: Miscellaneous35. Power to issue directions.- 1. The Central Government may issue such guidelines to the appropriate Government or, as the ...
Previous sanction for prosecution
36. Previous sanction for prosecution.- No prosecution for offences punishable under sub-section (2) of section 13, sub-section (5) of section 18 and sub-sec...
Protection of action taken in good faith
37. Protection of action taken in good faith.- No suit or other legal proceeding shall lie against the Central Government, the State Government, the National...
Power of appropriate Government to make rules
38. Power of appropriate Government to make rules.- 1. The appropriate Government may, by notification, make rules, for carrying out the provisions of t...
SCHEDULE (See sections 19 and 25)Norms and Standards for a School1. Number of teachers:a. For first class to fifth class Admitted children Number ...