An Act to provide for the eviction of unauthorized occupants from public premises and for certain incidental matters. Be it enacted by Parliament in the Twe...
Short title, Extent and Commencement
1. (1)This Act may be the Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorized Occupants) Act, 1971. (2) It extents to the whole of India. (3) It shall be deemed to have ...
2. In this Act, unless the context otherwise require,- (b) "Estate Officer" means an officer appointed as such by the Central Government under section 3; (c) ...
Appointment of Estate Officers
3. The Central Government may, be notification in the Official Gazette,- (a) appoint such persons, being Gazetted Officers of Government [ or of the Governmen...
Eviction from temporary occupation
3A. Notwithstanding anything contained in section 4 or section 5, if the Estate Officer, after making such inquiry as he deems expedient in the circumstances ...
Issue of notice of show cause against order of eviction
4. (1) If the estate officer is of opinion that any persons are in unauthorized occupation of any public premises and that they should be evicted, the Estate ...
Eviction of unauthorized occupants
5. (1) If, after considering the cause, if any, shown by any person in pursuance of a notice under section 4 and [any evidence produced by him in support of t...
Power to remove unauthorized constructions, etc.
5A. (1)No person shall- (a) erect or place or raise any building or[ any movable or immovable structure or fixture]; (b) display or spread any goods. (c) brin...
Order of demolition of unauthorized construction
5B. (1)Where the erection of any building or execution of any work has been commenced, or is being carried on, or has been completed on any public premises by...
Power to seal unauthorized constructions
5C. (1) It shall be lawful for the estate officer, at any time, before or after making an order of demolition under section 5B, to make an order directing the...
Disposal of property left on public premises by unauthorized occupants
6. (1) Where any persons have been evicted from any public premises under section 5, [ or where any building or other work has been demolished under section 5...
Power to require payment of rent or damages in respect of public premises
7. (1) Where any person is in arrears of rent payable in respect of any public premises, the estate officer may, by order, require that person to pay the same...
Power of estate officers
8. An estate officer shall, for the purpose of holding any inquiry under this Act, have the same powers as are vested in a civil court under the Code of Civil...
9. (1) An appeal shall lie from every order of the estate officer made in respect of any public premises under [section 5 of Section 5B [or section 5C]] or se...