Short title, extent and commencement
1. This Act may be called the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006.2. It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir; and...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-a. "child" means a person who, if a male, has not completed twenty-one years of age, and if a female...
Child marriages to be voidable at the option of contracting party being a child
1. Every child marriage, whether solemnised before or after the commencement of this Act, shall be voidable at the option of the contracting party who wa...
Provision for maintenance and residence to female contracting party to child marriage
1. While granting a decree under section 3, the district court may also make an interim or final order directing the male contracting party to the child ...
Custody and maintenance of children of child marriages
1. Where there are children born of the child marriage, the district court shall make an appropriate order for the custody of such children.2. While...
Legitimacy of children born of child marriages
Notwithstanding that a child marriage has been annulled by a decree of nullity under section 3, every child begotten or conceived of such marriage before the ...
Power of district court to modify orders issued under section 4 or section 5
The district court shall have the power to add to, modify or revoke any order made under section 4 or section 5 and if there is any change in the circumstance...
Court to which petition should be made
For the purpose of grant of reliefs under sections 3, 4 and 5, the district court having jurisdiction shall include the district court having jurisdiction ove...
Punishment for male adult marrying a child
Whoever, being a male adult above eighteen years of age, contracts a child marriage shall be punishable with rigorous imprisonment which may extend to two yea...
Punishment for solemnising a child marriage
Whoever performs, conducts, directs or abets any child marriage shall be punishable with rigorous imprisonment which may extend to two years and shall be liab...
Punishment for promoting or permitting solemnisation of child marriages
1. Where a child contracts a child marriage, any person having charge of the child, whether as parent or guardian or any other person or in any other cap...
Marriage of a minor child to be void in certain circumstances
Where a child, being a minor-a. is taken or enticed out of the keeping of the lawful guardian; orb. by force compelled, or by any deceitful means in...
Power of court to issue injunction prohibiting child marriages
1. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Act, if, on an application of the Child Marriage Prohibition Officer or on receipt of infor...
Child marriages in contravention of injunction orders to be void
Any child marriage solemnised in contravention of an injunction order issued under section 13, whether interim or final, shall be void ab initio....
Offences to be cognizable and non-bailable
Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973, an offence punishable under this Act shall be cognizable and non-bailable....
Child Marriage Prohibition Officers
1. The State Government shall, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint for the whole State, or such part thereof as may be specified in that not...
Child Marriage Prohibition Officers to be public servants
The Child Marriage Prohibition Officers shall be deemed to be public servants within the meaning of section 21 of the Indian Penal Code....
Protection of action taken in good faith
No suit, prosecution or other legal proceedings shall lie against the Child Marriage Prohibition Officer in respect of anything in good faith done or intended...
Power of State Government to make rules
1. The State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules for carrrying out the provisions of this Act.2. Every rule made un...
Amendment of Act No. 25 of 1955
In the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, in section 18, for clause (a), the following clause shall be substituted, namely:-"a. in the case of contravention of t...
Repeal and savings
1. The Child Marriage Restraint Act, 1929 is hereby repealed.2. Notwithstanding such repeal, all cases and other proceedings pending or continued un...