Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954.(2) It extends to the whole of India 1[* * *](3) It shall come into force on such da...
– In this Act unless the context otherwise requires, --1[(i) “adulterant” means any material which is or could be employed for the purpose of adulteration;]2...
|Central Committee For Food Standards And Central Food Laboratory|
The Central Committee for Food Standards
(1) The Central Government shall, as soon as may be after the commencement of this Act, constitute a Committee called the Central Committee for Food Standards...
Appointment of Secretary and other staff
(1) The Central Government shall appoint a Secretary to the Committee who shall, under the control and direction of the Committee, exercise such powers and pe...
Central Food Laboratory
1[(1) The Central Government shall, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish one or more Central Food Laboratory or Laboratories to carry out the fu...
|General Provisions As To Food|
Prohibition of import of certain articles of food
(i) Any adulterated food:(ii) Any misbranded food:(iii) Any article of food for the import of’ which a license is prescribed, except in accordance with the ...
Application of law relating to sea customs and powers of customs officers
(1) The law for the time being in force relating to sea customs and to goods, the import of which is prohibited by See. 18 of the Sea Customs Act, 1878 (8 of ...
Prohibitions of manufacture, sale, etc. of certain articles of food
No person shall himself or by any person on his behalf’ manufacture for sale, or store, sell or distribute-(i) Any adulterated food:(ii) Any misbranded food...
|Analysis Of Food|
– The Central Government or the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint such persons as it thinks fit, having the prescribed q...
(1) The Central Government or the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint such persons as it thinks fit, leaving the prescribed...
Powers of Food Inspector
(1) A Food Inspector shall have power-(a) To take samples of any article of food from-(i) Any person selling such article (ii) Any person who is in the cours...
Procedure to be followed by Food Inspectors
(1) When a Food Inspector takes a sample of food for analysis, he shall-(a) Give notice in writing then and there of his intention to have it so analyzed to t...
Purchase may have food analyzed
Nothing contained in this Act shall be held to prevent a purchaser of any article of food other than a Food Inspector 1[or a recognized consumer association...
Report of Public Analyst
1[(1) The public analyst shall deliver, in such from as may be prescribed. a report to the Local (Health) Authority of the result of the analysis of any artic...
Manufacturers, distributors and dealers to give warrant
No 2[manufacturer or distributor of, or dealer in] any article of food shall sell such article to any vendor unless lie also gives a warranty in writing in t...
Notification of food poisoning
–1[The Central Government or the State Government] may, by notification in the Official Gazette, require medical practitioners carrying on their profession in...
1[(l) Subject to the provisions of subsection (I -A) it any person, -(a) Whether by himself or by any other person on his behalf, imports into India or manuf...
Power of Court to try cases summarily
Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), all offences under subsection (1) of Sec. 16 shall be tried in a summ...
Offences by companies
(1) Where an offence under this Act has been committed by a company-(a) (i) The person, if any, has been nominated under sub-section (2)to be in charge of, ...
Forfeiture of property
Where any person has been convicted under this Act for the contravention of any of the provisions of this Act or of any rule there under, the article of food ...
Defenses which may or may not be allowed in prosecutions under this Act
(1) It shall be no defense in a prosecution for an offence pertaining to the sale of any Adulterated or misbranded article of food to allege merely that the v...
Cognizance and trial of offences
1[(1) No prosecution for an offence under this Act, not being an offence under this Sec. 14 or Sec. 14-A] shall be instituted except by, or with the written...
Power of Court to impaled manufacturers, etc.
Where at any time during the trial of any offence under this Act alleged to have been committed by any person, not being the manufacturer, distributor or dea...
Application of the Probation of Offenders Act, 1958 and Sec. 360 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973
Nothing contained in the Probation of Offenders Act, 1958 (20 of 1958), or Sec. 360 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), shall apply to a per...
Protection of action taken in good faith
No suit, prosecution or other legal proceedings shall lie against any person for anything which is in good faith done or intended to be done under this Act....
Power of Central Government to give directions
The Central Government may give such directions as it may deem necessary to a State Government regarding the carrying into execution of all or any of the p...
Power of the Central Government to make rules
1(l) The Central Government may, after consultation with the Committee and after previous publication by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to c...
Power of the State Government to make rules
(1) The State Government may, after consultation with Committee and subject to the condition of previous publication, make rules for the purpose of giving eff...
Repeal and saving
(1) It immediately before the commencement of this Act, there is in force in any State to which this Act extends any law Corresponding to this Act, that corre...