Short title and extent
(1) THIS Act may be called the press Council Act, 1978. (2) It extends to the whole of India. ...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,- (a) "Chairman" means the chairman of the council; (b) "Council means the Press council of India establis...
Rule of construction respecting enactments not extending to the State of
Jammu and Kashmir or Sikkim
Any reference in this Act to a law which is not in force in the State of Jammu and Kashmir or Sikkim shall, in relation to that State, be constructed as a ref...
|Chapter II||Establishment Of The Press Council|
Incorporation of the Council
(1) with effect from such date as the Central government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, there shall be established a Council by the na...
Composition of the Council
(1) The council shall consist of a chairman and twenty-eight other members. (2) The chairman shall be a person nominated by a Committee consisting of the chai...
Term of office and retirement of members
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this section, the chairman and other members shall hold office for a period of three years: that the chairman shall continue...
Conditions of service of members
(1) The chairman shall be a whole-time officer and shall be paid such salary as the Central government may think fir, and the other members shall receive such...
Committees of the Council
(1) For the purpose of performing its function under this Act, the council may constitute from among its members such committees for general or special purpos...
Meetings of the Council and committees
The council or any committee thereof shall meet at such times and places and shall observe such trolls of procedure in regard to the transaction of business a...
Vacancies among members or defect in the constitution not to invalidate acts and proceedings of the Council
No act or proceeding of the council shall be deemed to be invalid by reason merely of the existence of any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, t...
Staff of the Council
(1) subject to such rules as may be made by the central government in this behalf, the council may appoint a Secretary and such other employees as it may thin...
Authentication of orders and other instruments of the Council
All orders and decisions of the council shall be authenticated by the signature of the chairman or any other member authorized by the council in this behalf a...
|Chapter III||Powers And Functions Of The Council|
Objects and functions of the Council
(1) the objects of the Cancun shall be to preserve the freedom of the Press and to maintain and improve the standards of newspapers and news agencies in India...
Power to censure
(1) where on receipt of a complaint made to it or otherwise, the Council has reason believe that a newspaper or news agency has offended against the standards...
General powers of the Council
(1) For the purpose of performing its functions or holding any inquiry under this Act, the council shall have the same powers throughout Indies are vested in ...
Levy of fees
(1) The council may, for the purpose performing its functions under this act, levy such fees, at such rates and in such manner as my be prescribed from regist...
Payments to the Council
The Central government may after due appropriation made by Parliament by law in this behalf, pay to the council by way of grants such sums of money as the Cen...
Fund of the Council
(1) The council shall have its own fund; and the fees collected by it all such sums as may from time to time be paid to it by the ?central government and all ...
The council shall prepare, in such form and at such time each year as may be prescribed a budget in respect of the financial year next ensuing showing the sti...
The council shall prepare once every year, in such form and at such time as may be prescribed an annual report giving summary of its activities during the pre...
Without prejudice to the provisions of Section 20, of the council may prepare at any time during the course or a year a report giving a summary of such of its...
Accounts and audit
the accounts of the council shall be maintained and audited in such as may in consultation with the comptroller and auditor of India be prescribed, ...
Protection of action taken in good faith
(1) No suit or other legal proceeding shall lie against the council or any member thereof or any person acting under the direction of the council in respect o...
Members, etc., to be public servants
Every member of the council and every officer or other employee appointed by the council shall be deemed to be a public servant within the meaning of section ...
Power to make rules
(1) the central government may, be notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the purposes of this Act. that when the council has been est...
Power to make regulations
the council may make regulations not inconsistent with this act and the rules made thereunder for- (a) regulating the meeting of the council or any committee ...
Amendment of Act 25 of 1867
In sub-section (1) of Section 8c of the Press and registration of Books Act, 1867 for the words "consisting of a chairman and another member to be appointed b...