Short title extent commencement and application
(1) This Act may be called the Payment of Wages Act 1936. (2) It extends to the whole of India. (3) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Gove...
In this Act unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context - (i) "employed person" includes the legal representative of a deceased employed pers...
Responsibility for payment of wages
Every employer shall be responsible for the payment to persons employed by him of all wages required to be paid under this Act: that in the case of persons em...
Fixation of wage-periods
(1) Every person responsible for the payment of wages under section 3 shall fix periods (in this Act referred to as wage-periods) in respect of which such wa...
Time of payment of wages
(1) The wages of every person employed upon or in - (a) any railway factory or industrial or other establishment upon or in which less than one thousand perso...
Wages to be paid in current coin or currency notes
All wages shall be in current coin or currency notes or in both: that the employer may after obtaining the written authorisation of the employed person pay hi...
Deductions which may be made from wages
(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of sub-section (2) of section 47 of the Indian Railways Act 1890 (9 of 1890) the wages of an employed person shall be paid ...
(1) No fine shall be imposed on any employed person save in respect of such acts and omissions on his part as the employer with the previous approval of the S...
Deductions for absence from duty
(1) Deductions may be made under clause (b) of sub-section (2) of section 7 only on account of the absence of an employed person from the place or places wher...
Deductions for damage or loss
(1) A deduction under clause (c) or clause (o) of sub-section (2) of section 7 shall not exceed the amount of the damage or loss caused to the employer by the...
Deductions for services rendered
A deduction under clause (d) or clause (e) of sub-section (2) of section 7 shall not be made from the wages of an employed person, unless the house-accommoda...
Deductions for recovery of advances
Deductions under clause (f) of sub-section (2) of section 7 shall be subject to the following conditions namely: (a) recovery of an advance of money given be...
Deductions for recovery of loans
Deductions for recovery of loans granted under clause (fff) of sub-section (2) of section 7 shall be subject to any rules made by the State Government regula...
Deductions for payments to co-operative societies and insurance schemes
Deductions under clause (j) and clause (k) of sub-section (2) of section 7 shall be subject to such conditions as the State Government may impose. ...
Maintenance of registers and records
(1) Every employer shall maintain such registers and records giving such particulars of persons employed by him the work performed by them the wages paid to ...
(1) An Inspector of Factories appointed under sub-section (1) of section 8 of the Factories Act 1948 (63 of 1948) shall be an Inspector for the purposes of th...
Facilities to be afforded to Inspectors
Every employer shall afford an Inspector all reasonable facilities for making any entry inspection supervision examination or inquiry under this Act. ...
Claims arising out of deductions from wages or delay in payment of wages and penalty for malicious or vexatious claims
(1) The State Government may by notification in the Official Gazette appoint a presiding officer of any Labour Court or Industrial Tribunal constituted under ...
Single application in respect of claims from unpaid group
(1) Employed persons are said to belong to the same unpaid group if they are borne on the same establishment and if deductions have been made from their wages...
(1) An appeal against an order dismissing either wholly or in part an application made under sub-section (2) of section 15 or against a direction made under ...
Conditional attachment of property of employer or other person responsible for payment of wages
(1) Where at any time after an application has been made under sub-section (2) of section 15 the authority or where at any time after an appeal has been file...
Powers of authorities appointed under section 15
Every authority appointed under sub-section (1) of section 15 shall have all the powers of a civil court under the Code of Civil Procedure 1908 (5 of 1908) fo...
|19||Power to recover from employer in certain cases [Repealed by Act 53 of 1964]|
Penalty for offences under the Act
(1) Whoever being responsible for the payment of wages to an employed person contravenes any of the provisions of any of the following sections namely sectio...
Procedure in trial of offences
(1) No court shall take cognizance of a complaint against any person for an offence under sub-section (1) of section 20 unless an application in respect of th...
Bar of suits
No Court shall entertain any suit for the recovery of wages or of any deduction from wages in so far as the sum so claimed - (a) forms the subject of an appl...
Protection of action taken in good faith
No suit prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie against the government or any officer of the government for anything which is in good faith done or i...
Any contract or agreement whether made before or after the commencement of this Act whereby an employed person relinquishes any right conferred by this Act sh...
Application of Act to railways air transport services mines and oilfields
The powers by this Act conferred upon the State Government shall, in relation to railways air transport services mines and oilfields be powers of the Central ...
Display by notice of abstracts of the Act
The person responsible for the payment of wages of persons employed in a factory or an industrial or other establishment shall cause to be displayed in such ...
Payment of undisbursed wages in case of death of employed person
(1) Subject to the other provisions of the Act all amounts payable to an employed person as wages shall if such amounts could not or cannot be paid on account...
(1) The State Government may make rules to regulate the procedure to be followed by the authorities and courts referred to in sections 15 and 17. (2) The Sta...