Short title, extent and application
(1) This Act may be called the Official Secrets Act, 1923.(2) It extends to the whole of India and applies also to servants of the Government and to citizen...
In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,-(1) any reference to a place belonging to Government includes a place occupied by a...
Penalties for spying
(1) If any person for any purpose prejudicial to the safety or interests of the State-(a) approaches, inspects, passes over or is in the vicinity of, or enter...
Communications with foreign agents to be evidence of commission of certain offences
(1) In any proceedings against a person for an offence under section 3, the fact that he has been in communication with, or attempted to communicate with a fo...
Wrongful communication, etc., of information
(1) If any person having in his possession or control any secret official code or pass word or any sketch, plan, model, article, note, document or information...
Unauthorized use of uniforms; falsification of reports, forgery, personation, and false documents
(1) If any person for the purpose of gaining admission or of assisting any other person to gain admission to a prohibited place or for any other purpose pre...
Interfering with officers of the police or members of the Armed Forces of Union
(1) No person in the vicinity of any prohibited place shall obstruct, knowingly mislead or otherwise interfere with or impede, any police officer, or any memb...
Duty of giving information as to commission of offences
(1) It shall be the duty of every person to give on demand to a Superintendent of Police, or other police officer not below the rank of Inspector empowered, b...
Attempts, incitements, etc.
Any person who attempts to commit or abets the commission of an offence under this Act shall be punishable with the same punishment, and be liable to be proce...
Penalty for harboring spies
(1) If any person knowingly harbors any person whom he knows or has reasonable grounds for supposing to be a person who is about to commit or who has committe...
(1) If a Presidency Magistrate, Magistrate of the first class or Sub-divisional Magistrate is satisfied by information on oath that there is reasonable.ground...
Provisions of section 337 of Act 5 of 1898 to apply to offences under section 3, 5 and 7
The provisions of section 337 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 189822 shall apply in relation to an offence punishable under section 3 or under section 5 or...
Restriction on trial of offences
(1) No Court (other than that of a Magistrate of the first class specially empowered in this behalf by the 23[appropriate Government] which is inferior to tha...
Exclusion of public from proceedings
In addition and without prejudice to any powers which a Court may possess to order. the exclusion of the public from any proceedings if, in the course of proc...
Offences by companies
(1) If the person committing an offence under this Act. is a company, every person who, at the time the offence was committed, was in charge of, and was resp...
1. Extended to Berar by Act No. 4 of 1941; to Goa,Daman and Diu by Reg. 12 of 1962, to Dadra and Nagar Haveli by Reg.6 of 1963, to Pondicherry by Reg. 7 of 19...