Short title and extent
(1) This Act may be called the National Security Act, 1980. (2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir....
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-(a) "appropriate Government" means, as respects a detention order made by the Central Government or a pers...
Power to make orders detaining certain persons
(1) The Central Government or the State Government may,-(a) if satisfied with respect to any person that with a view to preventing him from acting in any man...
Execution of detention orders
A detention order may be executed at any place in India in the manner provided for the execution of warrants of arrest under the Code of Criminal Procedure, ...
Power to regulate place and conditions of detention
Every person in respect of whom a detention order has been made shall be liable-(a) to be detained in such place and under such conditions, including conditio...
Grounds of detention severable
Where a person has been detained in pursuance of an order of detention [whether made before or after the commencement of the National Security (Second Amendm...
Detention orders not to be invalid or inoperative on certain grounds
No detention order shall be invalid or inoperative merely by reason-(a) that the person to be detained thereunder is outside the limits of the territorial jur...
Powers in relation to absconding persons
(1) If the Central Government or the State Government or an officer mentioned in sub-section (3) of section 3, as the case may be, has reason to believe that ...
Grounds of order of detention to be disclosed to persons affected by the order
(1) When a person is detained in pursuance of a detention order, the authority making the order shall, as soon as may be, but ordinarily not later than five d...
Constitution of Advisory Boards
(1) The Central Government and each State Government shall, whenever necessary, constitute one or more Advisory Boards for the purposes of this Act.(2) Every ...
Reference to Advisory Boards
Save as otherwise expressly provided in this Act, in every case where a detention order has been made under this Act, the appropriate Government shall, within...
Procedure of Advisory Boards
(1) The Advisory Board shall, after considering the materials placed before it and, after calling for such further information as it may deem necessary from t...
Action upon the report of the Advisory Board
(1) In any case where the Advisory Board has reported that there is, in its opinion, sufficient cause for the detention of a person, the appropriate Governmen...
Maximum period of detention
The maximum period for which any person may be detained in pursuance of any detention order which has been confirmed under section 12 shall be twelve months f...
Revocation of detention orders
(1) Without prejudice to the provisions of section 21 of the General Clauses Act, 1897, a detention order may, at any time, be revoked or modified,-(a) notwit...
|14A||Applicable to the State of Punjab and Union Territory of Chandigarh|
Temporary release of persons detained
(1) The appropriate Government may, at any time, direct that any person detained in pursuance of a detention order may be released for any specified period ei...
Protection of action taken in good faith
No suit or other legal proceeding shall lie against the Central Government or a State Government, and no suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie...
Act not to have effect with respect to detentions under State laws
(1) Nothing in this Act shall apply or have any effect with respect to orders of detention, made under any State law, which are in force immediately before th...
Repeal and saving
(1) The National Security Ordinance, 1980, is hereby repealed.(2) Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the said Ordinance shal...
1. Section 5A inserted by the National Security (Second Amendment) Act 1984 (Act No. 60 of 1984) w.e.f 21st June 1984.2. Sub-section (2) substituted by Act N...