Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Multimodal Transportation of Goods Act, 1993.(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.(3) It ...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-(a) "carrier" means a person who is engaged in the business of transporting for hire goods by road, rail, ...
|Chapter II||Regulation Of Multimodal Transportation|
No person to carry on business without registration
No. person shall carry on or commence the business of multimodal transportation unless he is registered under this Act:that a person carrying on the business ...
Registration for multimodal transportation
(1) Any person may apply for registration to the competent authority to carry on or commence the business of multimodal transportation.(2) An application unde...
Cancellation of registration
The competent authority may, if it is satisfied at any time after registration that -(a) any statement in, or in relation to, any application under sub-sectio...
(1) Any person aggrieved by an order made by the competent authority under section 5 may prefer an appeal to the Central Government within such period as may...
|Chapter III||Multimodal Transport Document|
Issue of multimodal transport document
(1) Where the consignor and the multimodal transport operator have entered into a contract for the multimodal transportation and the multimodal transport oper...
Multimodal transport document to be regarded as document of title
(1) Every consignee named in the negotiable or non-negotiable multimodal transport document and every endorsee of such document, as the case may be, to whom t...
Contents of multimodal transport document
The multimodal transport document shall contain the following particulars, namely:- (a) the general nature of the goods, the leading marks necessary for ...
Reservation in the multimodal transport document
(1) Where the multimodal transport operator or a person acting on his behalf knows, or has reasonable grounds to suspect, that the particulars furnished by th...
Evidentiary effect of the multimodal transport document
Save as provided in section 10,-(a) the multimodal transport document shall be prima fact evidence of the face that the multimodal transport operator has take...
Responsibility of the consignor
(1) The consignor shall be deemed to have guaranteed to the multimodal transport operator the adequacy and accuracy, at the time the multimodal transport oper...
|Chapter IV||Responsibilities And Liabilities Of The Multimodal Transport Operator|
Basis of liability of multimodal transport operator
(1) The multimodal transport operator shall be liable for loss resulting from-(a) any loss of, or damage to, the consignment;(b) delay in delivery of the con...
Limits of liability when the nature and value of the consignment have not been declared and stage of transport where loss or damage occurred is not known
(1) Where a multimodal transport operator becomes liable for any loss of , or damage to, any consignment, the nature and value where of have not been declared...
Limits of liability when the nature and value of the consignment have not been declared and stage of transport where loss or damage occurred is known
Where a multimodal transport operator becomes liable for any loss of ,or damage to, any consignment, the nature and value whereof have not been declared by th...
Liability of the multimodal transport operator in case of delay in delivery of goods under certain circumstances
Where delay in delivery of the consignment occurs under any of the circumstances mentioned in the Explanation to sub-section (1) of section 13, or any consequ...
Assessment of compensation
(1) Assessment of compensation for loss of ,or damage to, the consignment shall be made with reference to the value of such consignment at the place where, an...
Loss of right of multimodal transport operator to limit liability
The multimodal transport operator shall not be entitled to the benefit of limitation of liability under any of the provisions of the Chapter if it is proved t...
Limit of liability of multimodal transport operator for total loss of goods
The multimodal transport operator shall not, in any case, be liable for an amount greater than the liability for total loss of goods for which a person will b...
Notice of loss of or damage to goods
(1) The delivery of the consignment to the consignee by the multimodal transport operator shall be treated as prima facie evidence of delivery of the goods as...
Special provision for dangerous goods
(1) Where the consignor hands over the prescribed dangerous goods to a multimodal transport operator or any person acting on behalf of such operator, the cons...
Right of multimodal transport operator to have lien on goods and documents
(1) The multimodal transport operator who has not been paid the amount of consideration stipulated in the multimodal transport contract shall have a line on t...
Notwithstanding anything contained in any other provision of this Act, it shall be lawful for the parties to the multimodal transport contract to include in...
Limitation on action
The multimodal transport operator shall not be liable under any of the provisions of this Act unless action against him is brought within nine months of -(a) ...
Jurisdiction for instituting action
Any party to the multimodal transport contract may institute an action in a court which is competent and within the jurisdiction of which is situated one of ...
(1) The parties to a multimodal transport contract may provide therein that any dispute which may arise in relation to multimodal transportation under the pro...
Delegation of power
The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, direct that any power exercisable by it under this Act, except the power under section 30...
Multimodal transport contract to be made in accordance with this Act
No. person registered as a multimodal transport operator shall enter into any contract for multimodal transportation except in accordance with the provisions ...
Act to override other enactments
The provisions of this Act shall have effect notwithstanding anything inconsistent therewith contained in any other law for the time being in force or in any ...
Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the provision of this Act.(2) In particular, and without ...
Amendment of certain enactments
On and from the date of the commencement of this Act, the enactments specified in Parts I, II and III of the Schedule shall be amended in the manner specifi...
Repeal and savings
(1) The Multimodal Transportation of Goods Ordinance, 1993 is hereby repealed.(2) Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the sai...
Amendment of Certain Enactments
(See section 31)Amendment of the Carriers Act, 1865In the Carriers Act, 1865,-(a) in section 2, in the definition relating to "common carrier", after the words...