Short title. extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, 1971.(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.(3) It sh...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, -(a) "guardian" means a person having the care of the person of a minor or a lunatic;(b) "lunatic" has the...
When pregnancies may be terminated by registered medical practitioners
(1) Not with standing anything contained in the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860), a registered medical practitioner shall not guilty of any offence under that ...
Place where pregnancy may be terminated
No termination of pregnancy shall be made in accordance with this Act at any place other than,-(a) a hospital established or maintained by Government, or(b) a...
Sections 3 and 4 when not to apply
(1) The provisions of Sec.4 and so much of the provisions of sub-section -(2) of Sec. 3 as relates to the length of the pregnancy and the opinion of not le...
Power to make rules
(1) 'The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the provisions of this Act.(2) In particular, and without p...
Power to make regulations
(1) The State Government may, by regulations,-(a) require any such opinion as is referred to in sub-section (2) of Sec. 3 to be certified by a registered medi...
Protection of action taken in good faith
No suit or other legal proceedings shall lie against any registered medical practitioner for any damage caused or likely to be caused by anything which is in...