Short title, extent and commencement
1. This Act may be called the Legal Metrology Act, 2009.2. It extends to the whole of India.3. It shall come into force on such date as the Ce...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-a. "Controller" means the Controller of Legal Metrology appointed under section 14; b. "dealer", ...
Provisions of this Act to override provisions of any other law
The provisions of this Act shall have effect notwithstanding anything inconsistent therewith contained in any enactment other than this Act or in any instrume...
|Chapter II||Standard Weights and Measures|
Units of weights and measures to be based on metric system
Every unit of weight or measure shall be in accordance with the metric system based on the international system of units....
Base unit of weights and measures
1. The base unit of – i. length shall be the metre; ii. mass shall be the kilogram; iii. ...
Base unit of numeration
1. The base unit of numeration shall be the unit of the international form of Indian numerals. 2. Every numeration shall be made in accordance with...
Standard units of weights and measures
1. The base units of weights and measures specified in section 5 shall be the standard units of weights and measures.2. The base unit of numeration...
Standard weight, measure or numeral
1. Any weight or measure which conforms to the standard unit of such weight or measure and also conforms to such of the provisions of section 7 as are ap...
Reference, secondary and working standard
1. The reference standards, secondary standards and working standards of weights and measures shall be such as may be prescribed.2. Every reference...
Use of weight or measure for particular purposes
Any transaction, dealing or contract in respect of any goods, class of goods or undertakings shall be made by such weight, measure or number as may be prescri...
Prohibition of quotation, etc., otherwise than in terms of standard units of weight, measure or numeration
1. No person shall, in relation to any goods, things or service,- a. quote, or make announcement of, whether by word of mouth or otherwise, any price...
Any custom, usage, etc., contrary to standard weight, measure or numeration to be void
Any custom, usage, practice or method of whatever nature which permits a person to demand, receive or cause to be demanded or received, any quantity of articl...
|Chapter III||Appointment and Powers of Director, Controller and Legal Metrology Officers|
Appointment of Director, legal metrology officers and other employees
1. The Central Government may, by notification, appoint a Director of legal metrology, Additional Director, Joint Director, Deputy Director, Assistant Di...
Appointment of Controller, legal metrology officers and other employees
1. The State Government may, by notification, appoint a Controller of legal metrology, Additional Controller, Joint Controller, Deputy Controller, Assist...
Power of inspection, seizure, etc
1. The Director, Controller or any legal metrology officer may, if he has any reason to believe, whether from any information given to him by any person ...
1. Every non-standard or unverified weight or measure, and every package made in contravention of section 18, used in the course of, or in relation to, a...
Manufacturers, etc., to maintain records and registers
1. Every manufacturer, repairer or dealer of weight or measure shall maintain such records and registers as may be prescribed. 2. The records and r...
Declarations on pre-packaged commodities
1. No person shall manufacture, pack, sell, import, distribute, deliver, offer, expose or possess for sale any pre-packaged commodity unless such package...
Registration for importer of weight or measure
No person shall import any weight or measure unless he is registered with the Director in such manner and on payment of such fees, as may be prescribed....
Non-standard weights and measures not to be imported
No weight or measure, whether singly or as a part or component of any machine shall be imported unless it conforms to the standards of weight or measure estab...
Training in Legal Metrology
1. For imparting training in Legal Metrology and other allied branches of knowledge the "Indian Institute of Legal Metrology" (hereinafter referred to as...
Approval of model
Every person, before manufacturing or importing any weight or measure shall seek the approval of model of such weight or measure in such manner, on payment of...
Prohibition on manufacture, repair or sale of weight or measure without licence
1. No person shall manufacture, repair or sell, or offer, expose or possess for repair or sale, any weight or measure unless he holds a licence issued by...
|Chapter IV||Verification And Stamping of Weight or Measure|
Verification and stamping of weight or measure
1. Every person having any weight or measure in his possession, custody or control in circumstances indicating that such weight or measure is being, or i...
|Chapter V||Offences and Penalties|
Penalty for use of non- standard weight or measure
Whoever uses or keeps for use any weight or measure or makes use of any numeration otherwise than in accordance with the standards of weight or measure or the...
Penalty for alteration of weight and measure
tampers with, or alters in any way, any reference standard, secondary standard or working standard or increases or decreases or alters any weight or measure w...
Penalty for manufacture or sale of non-standard weight or measure
Every person who manufactures or causes to be manufactured or sells or offers, exposes or possesses for sale, any weight or measure which,-a. does not ...
Penalty for making any transaction, deal or contract in contravention of the prescribed standards
Whoever makes any transaction, deal or contract in contravention of the standards of weights and measures specified under section 10 shall be punished with fi...
Penalty for quoting or publishing, etc., of non-standard units
Whoever violates section 11 shall be punished with fine which may extend to ten thousand rupees and, for the second or subsequent offence, with imprisonment f...
Whoever-Penalty for transactions in contravention of standard weight or measure
a. in selling any article or thing by weight, measure or number, delivers or causes to be delivered to the purchaser any quantity or number of that artic...
Penalty for non-production of documents, etc.
Whoever, being required by or under this Act or the rules made there under to submit returns, maintain any record or register, or being required by the Direct...
Penalty for failure to get model approved
Whoever fails or omits to submit model of any weight or measure for approval, shall be punished with fine which may extend to twenty thousand rupees and for t...
Penalty for use of unverified weight or measure
Whoever, sells, distributes, delivers or otherwise transfers or uses any unverified weight or measure shall be punished with fine which shall not be less than...
Penalty for sale or delivery of commodities, etc., by non-standard weight or measure
Whoever sells, or causes to be sold, delivers, or causes to be delivered, any commodity, article or thing by any means other than the standard weight or measu...
Penalty for rendering services by non-standard weight, measure or number
Whoever renders or causes to be rendered, any service through means other than the weight or measure or numeration or in terms of any weight, measure or numbe...
Penalty for selling, etc., of non-standard packages
1. Whoever manufactures, packs, imports, sells, distributes, delivers or otherwise transfers, offers, exposes or possesses for sale, or causes to be sold...
Penalty for contravention by Government approved Test Centre
1. Where any Government approved Test Centre contravenes any of the provisions of this Act or the rules made there under, or the conditions of the licenc...
Penalty for non-registration by importer of weight or measure
Whoever imports any weight or measure without being registered under this Act shall be punished with fine which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees and ...
Penalty for import of non-standard weight or measure
Whoever imports any non-standard weight or measure shall be punished with fine, which may extend to fifty thousand rupees and for the second or subsequent off...
Penalty for obstructing Director, Controller or legal metrology officer
Whoever obstructs the Director, the Controller or any legal metrology officer with intent to prevent or deter the Director or the Controller or any legal metr...
Penalty for giving false information or false return
1. Whoever gives any information to the Director, the Controller or any legal metrology officer, which he may require or ask for in the course of his dut...
The Director, the Controller or any legal metrology officer, exercising powers under this Act or any rule made there under, who knows that there are no reason...
Penalty for verification in contravention of Act and rules
Where the Controller or any legal metrology officer exercising powers under this Act or any rule made there under, willfully verifies or stamps any weight or ...
Penalty for counterfeiting of seals, etc
– 1. Whoever- i. counterfeits any seal specified by or under this Act or the rules made there under, or ii. ...
Penalty for manufacture of weight and measure without licence
Whoever, being required to obtain a licence under this Act or the rules made there under, manufactures, without being in possession of a valid licence, any we...
Penalty for repair, sale, etc., of weight and measure without licence
Whoever, being required to obtain a licence under this Act or the rules made there under repairs or sells or offers, exposes or possesses for repair or sale, ...
Penalty for tampering with licence
Whoever alters or otherwise tampers, with any licence issued or renewed under this Act or rules made there under, otherwise than in accordance with any author...
Compounding of offences
. –1. Any offence punishable under section 25, sections 27 to 39, sections 45 to 47, or any rule made under sub-section (3) of section 52 may, either be...
Offences by companies and power of court to publish name, place of business, etc., for companies convicted
1. Where an offence under this Act has been committed by a company,-a. i. the person, if any, who has been nominated ...
1. Subject to the provisions of sub-section (2), an appeal shall lie,-a. from every decision or order under sections 15 to 20, section 22, section 25...
Provisions of Indian Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedure not to apply
The provisions of the Indian Penal Code and section 153 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 in so far as such provisions relate to offences with regard to...
Power of the Central Government to make rules
1. The Central Government may, by notification, make rules for carrying out the provisions of this Act.2. In particular, and without prejudice to t...
Power of State Government to make rules
1. The State Government may, by notification, and after consultation with the Central Government, make rules to carry out the provisions of this Act.2. ...
Delegation of Powers
1. The Central Government may, in consultation with the State Government and by notification, direct that any power exercisable by it under this Act or a...
Act not to apply in certain cases
The provisions of this Act, in so far as they relate to verification and stamping of weights and measures, shall not apply to any weight or measure,-a. u...
Existing Director, Controller and legal metrology officer not to be affected by the new qualification to be prescribed
1. Every Director, Controller and legal metrology officer appointed immediately before the commencement of the rules made under this Act, shall be deemed...
Repeal of the Standards of Weights and Measures Act, 1976 and Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1985
1. The Standards of Weights and Measures Act, 1976 and the Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1985, is hereby repealed.2. Without ...