Short title, extent, commencement and application
Chapter I: Preliminary1. Short title, extent, commencement and application.- 1. This Act may be called the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Chil...
2. Definitions.- In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,a. "advisory board" means a Central or a State advisory board or a district and city ...
Continuation of inquiry in respect of juvenile who has ceased to be a juvenile
3. Continuation of inquiry in respect of juvenile who has ceased to be a juvenile.- Where an inquiry has been initiated against a juvenile in conflict with la...
|Chapter II||Juvenile in Conflict with Law|
Juvenile Justice Board
Chapter II: Juvenile in Conflict with Law4. Juvenile Justice Board.- 1. Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973,.(2 o...
Procedure etc. in relation to Board
5. Procedure etc. in relation to Board.- 1. The Board shall meet at such times and shall observed such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction o...
Powers of Juvenile Justice Board
6. Powers of Juvenile Justice Board.- 1. Where a Board has been constituted for any district, such Board shall, notwithstanding anything contained in an...
Procedure to be followed by a Magistrate not empowered under the Act
7. Procedure to be followed by a Magistrate not empowered under the Act.- 1. When any Magistrate not empowered to exercise the power of a Board under thi...
Procedure to be followed when claim of juvenility is raised before any court
7A. Procedure to be followed when claim of juvenility is raised before any court.- 1. Whenever a claim of juvenility is raised before any court or a cour...
8. Observation homes.- 1. Any State Government may establish and maintain either by itself or under an agreement with voluntary organizations, observati...
9. Special homes.- 1. Any State Government may established and maintain either by itself or under an agreement with voluntary organizations, special home...
Apprehension of juvenile in conflict with law
10. Apprehension of juvenile in conflict with law.- 1. As soon as a juvenile in conflict with law is apprehended by police, he shall be placed under the...
Control of custodian over juvenile
11. Control of custodian over juvenile.- Any person in whose charge a juvenile is placed in pursuance of this Act shall, while the order is in force have the...
Bail of juvenile
12. Bail of juvenile.- 1. When any person accused of a bailable or non-bailable offence, and apparently a juvenile, is arrested or detained or appears o...
Information to parent, guardian or probation officer
13. Information to parent, guardian or probation officer.- Where a juvenile is arrested, the officer incharge of the police station or the special juvenile po...
Inquiry by Board regarding juvenile
14. Inquiry by Board regarding juvenile.- 1. Where is juvenile having been charged with the offence is produced before a Board, the Board shall hold the...
Order that may be passed regarding juvenile
15. Order that may be passed regarding juvenile.- 1. Where a Board is satisfied on inquiry that a juvenile has committed an offence, then, notwithstandi...
Order that may not be passed against juvenile
16. Order that may not be passed against juvenile.- 1. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in any other law for the time being in force, ...
Proceeding under Chapter VIII of the Code of Criminal Procedure not competent against juvenile
17. Proceeding under Chapter VIII of the Code of Criminal Procedure not competent against juvenile.- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in th...
No joint proceeding of juvenile and person not a juvenile
18. No joint proceeding of juvenile and person not a juvenile.- 1. Notwithstanding anything contained in section 223 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1...
Removal of disqualification attaching to conviction
19. Removal of disqualification attaching to conviction.- 1. Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law, a juvenile who has committed an offence...
Special provision in respect of pending cases
20. Special provision in respect of pending cases.- Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, all proceedings in respect of a juvenile pending in any co...
Prohibition of publication of name, etc., of juvenile in conflict with law or child in need of care and protection involved in any proceeding under the Act
1. No report in any newspaper, magazine, news-sheet or visual media of any inquiry regarding a juvenile in conflict with law or a child in need of care a...
Provision in respect of escaped juvenile
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in any other law for the time being in force, any police officer may take charge without warrant of a juven...
Punishment for cruelty to juvenile or child
23. Punishment for cruelty to juvenile or child.- Whoever, having the actual charge of or control over, a juvenile or the child, assaults, abandons, exposes ...
Employment of juvenile or child for begging
1. Whoever, employs or uses any juvenile or the child for the purpose or causes any juvenile to beg shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term whic...
Penalty for giving intoxicating liquor or narcotic drug or psychotropic substance to juvenile or child
Whoever give, or causes to be given, to any juvenile or the child any intoxicating liquor in a public place or any narcotic drug or psychotropic substance ex...
Exploitation of juvenile or child employee
Whoever ostensibly procures a juvenile or the child for the purpose of any hazardous employment keeps him in bondage and with-holds his earnings or uses such ...
27. Special offences.- The offences punishable under section 23, 24, 25 and 26 shall be cognizable....
Where an act or omission constitute an offence punishable under this Act and also under any other Central or State Act, then, notwithstanding anything contai...
|Chapter III||Child in Need of Care and Protection|
Child Welfare Committee
Chapter III: Child in Need of Care and Protection29. Child Welfare Committee.- 1. The State Government may, within a period of one year from the date of...
Procedure, etc., in relation to Committee
30. Procedure, etc., in relation to Committee.- 1. The Committee shall meet at such times and shall observe such rules of procedure in regard to the tra...
Powers of Committee
1. The Committee shall have the final authority to dispose of cases for the care, protection, treatment, development and rehabilitation of the children a...
Production before committee
32. Production before committee.- 1. Any child in need of care and protection may be produced before the Committee by one of the following persons - ...
33. Inquiry.- 1. On receipt of a report under section 32, the Committee shall hold an inquiry in the prescribed manner and the Committee, on its own or o...
34. Children's homes.- 1. The State Government may establish and maintain either by itself or in association with the voluntary organizations, children'...
1. The State Government may appoint inspection committees for the children's homes (hereinafter referred to as the inspection committees) for the State,...
The Central Government or State Government may monitor and evaluate the functioning of the Children's homes at such period and through such persons and insti...
1. The State Government may recognize, reputed and capable voluntary organizations and provide them assistance to setup and administer as many shelter h...
1. If during the inquiry it is found that the child hails from the place outside the jurisdiction of the Committee, the Committee shall order the transf...
39. Restoration.- 1. Restoration of and protection to a child shall be the prime objective of any children's home or the shelter home.2. The childr...
|Chapter IV||Rehabilitation and Social Reintegration|
Process of rehabilitation and social reintegration
Chapter IV: Rehabilitation and Social Reintegration40. Process of rehabilitation and social reintegration.- The rehabilitation and social reintegration of a ...
1. The primary responsibility for providing care and protection to children shall be that of his family. 2. Adoption shall be resorted to for the ...
42. Foster care.- 1. The foster care may be used for temporary placement of those infants who to be given for adoption.2. In foster care, the child...
43. Sponsorship.- 1. The sponsorship programme may provide supplementary support to families, to children's homes and to special homes to meet medical, n...
The State Government may, by rules made under this Act, provide-a. for the establishment or recognition of after-care organizations and the functions th...
Linkages and co-ordination
45. Linkages and co-ordination.- The State Government may make rules to ensure effective linkages between various governmental, non-governmental, corporate a...
Attendance of parent or guardian of juvenile or child
Chapter V: Miscellaneous46. Attendance of parent or guardian of juvenile or child.- Any competent authority before which a juvenile or the child is brought u...
Dispensing with attendance of juvenile or child
47. Dispensing with attendance of juvenile or child.- If, at any stage during the course of an inquiry, a competent authority is satisfied that the attendanc...
Committal to approved places of juvenile or child suffering from dangerous diseases and his future disposal
48. Committal to approved places of juvenile or child suffering from dangerous diseases and his future disposal.- 1. When a juvenile or the child who ha...
Presumption and determination of age
49. Presumption and determination of age.- 1. Where it appears to a competent authority that person brought before it under any of the provisions of thi...
Sending a juvenile or child outside jurisdiction
50 Sending a juvenile or child outside jurisdiction.- In the case of a juvenile or the child, whose ordinary place of residence lies outside the jurisdiction...
Reports to be treated as confidential
The report of the probation officer or social worker considered by the competent authority shall be treated as confidential;Provided that the competent auth...
52. Appeals.- 1. Subject to the provisions of this section, any person aggrieved by an order made by a competent authority under this Act may, within thi...
53. Revision.- The High Court may, at any time, either of its own motion or on an application received in this behalf, call for the record of any proceeding i...
Procedure in inquiries, appeals and revision proceedings
54. Procedure in inquiries, appeals and revision proceedings.- 1. Save as other expressly provided by this Act, a competent authority while holding any ...
Power to amend orders
1. Without prejudice to the provisions for appeal and revision under this Act, any competent authority may, on an application received in this behalf, a...
Power of competent authority to discharge and transfer juvenile or child
The competent authority may, notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, at any time, order a child in need of care and protection or a juvenile in confl...
Transfer between children's homes, under the Act, and juvenile homes, of like nature in different parts of India
57. Transfer between children's homes, under the Act, and juvenile homes, of like nature in different parts of India.- The State Government may direct any chi...
Transfer of juvenile or child of unsound mind or suffering from leprosy or addicted to drugs
58. Transfer of juvenile or child of unsound mind or suffering from leprosy or addicted to drugs.- Where it appears to the competent authority that any juven...
Release and absence of juvenile or child in placement
59. Release and absence of juvenile or child in placement.- 1. When a juvenile or the child is kept in a children's home or special home and on a report...
Contribution by parents
60. Contribution by parents.- 1. The competent authority which makes an order for sending a juvenile or the child to a children's home or to a special h...
1. The State Government may create a Fund under such name as it think fit for the welfare and rehabilitation of the juvenile or the child dealt with unde...
Central, State, district and city advisory boards
1. The Central Government or a State Government may constitute a Central or a State advisory board, as the case may be, to advise that Government on mat...
Constitution of Child Protection Unit responsible for implementation of the Act
62A. Constitution of Child Protection Unit responsible for implementation of the Act.- Every State Government shall constitute a Child Protection Unit for the...
Special juvenile police unit
1. In order to enable the police officers who frequently or exclusively deal with juveniles or are primarily engaged in the prevention of juvenile crime ...
Juvenile in conflict with law undergoing sentence at commencement of this Act
64. Juvenile in conflict with law undergoing sentence at commencement of this Act.- In any area in which this Act is brought into force, the State Government ...
Procedure in respect of bonds
Provisions of Chapter XXXIII of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974) shall as far as may be, apply to bonds taken under this Act. ...
Delegation of powers
The State Government may, by the general order, direct that any power exercisable by it under this Act shall, in such circumstances and under such conditions...
Protection of action taken in good faith
No suit or legal proceedings shall lie against the State Government or voluntary organization running the home or any officer and the staff appointed in purs...
Power to make rules
1. The State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the purposes of this Act. Provided that the Central Govern...
Repeal and savings
1. The juvenile justice Act, 1986 (53 of 1986) is hereby repealed.2. Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the said A...
Power to remove difficulties
1. If any difficulty arises in giving effect to the provisions of this Act, the Central Government may, by order, not inconsistent with the provisions o...