Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called 3[the Immoral Traffic (Prevention)] Act, 1956. (2) It extends to the whole of India. (3) This section shall come into force at once;...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, - (a) "brothel" includes any house, room 5[,conveyance] or place or any portion of any house room, 5[,conve...
Rule of construction regarding enactments not extending to
Jammu and Kashmir
Any reference in this Act to a law which is not in force in the State of Jammu and Kashmir shall, in relation to that State, be construed as a reference to t...
Punishment for keeping a brothel or allowing premises to be used as a brothel
(1) Any person who keeps or manages, or acts or assist in the keeping or management of, a brothel shall he punishable on first conviction with rigorous impris...
Punishment for living on the earnings of prostitution
(1) Any person over the age of eighteen years who knowingly lives, wholly or in part, on the earnings of the prostitution 20[any other person] shall be punish...
Procuring, inducing or taking 23[person] for the sake of prostitution
(1) Any person who- (a) procures or attempts to procure a 5[person] whether with or without his consent, for the purpose of prostitution; or (b) induces a 23[p...
Detaining a person in premises where prostitution is carried on
(1) may person who detains 27[any other person, whether with or without his consent],- (a) in any brothel, or (b) in or upon any premises with intent 27[that ...
Prostitution in or in the vicinity of public places
29[(1) Any 23[Person], who carries on prostitution and the person with whom such prostitution is carried on, in any premises- (a) which are within the area or ...
Seducing or soliciting for purpose of Prostitution
Whoever, in any public place or within sight of, and in such manner as to be seen or heard from, any public place, whether from within any building or house...
Seduction of a poison in custody
34[***]Any person who 35[having the custody, charge or care of, or a position of authority over, any 23[person], causes or aids or abets the seduction for pro...
Release on probation of good conduct or after due admonition
Rep. by the Suppression of Immoral Traffic in Women and Girls (Amendment) Act, 1986 (44 of 1986), s. 13, w.e.f. 26th. January, 1987.] ...
Detention in a corrective institution
(1) Where- (a) a female offender is found guilty of an offence under section 7 or section 8, 39[***]; and. (b) the character, state of health and mental condi...
Notification of address of previously convicted offenders
(1) When any person having been convicted- (a) by a court in India of an offence punishable under this Act or punishable under section 363, section 365, sectio...
Security for good behavior from habitual offenders
Rep. by the Suppression of Immoral traffic in Women and Girls (Amendment) Act, 1986 (44 of l986) s. 13, w.e.f. 26th. January, 1987. ...
Special police officer and advisory body
(1) There shall be for each area to be specified by the State Government in this behalf a special police officer appointed by or on behalf of that Government ...
Offences to be cognizable
Notwithstanding anything contained in 42[the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974)], any offence punishable under this Act shall be deemed to be a cogn...
Search without warrant
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, whenever the special police officer 43[or the trafficking police officer,...
Rescue of person
(1) Where a magistrate has reason to believe from information received from the police or from any other person authorized by the State Government in this be...
Intermediate custody of persons removed under section 15 or rescued under section 16
(1) When the special police officer removing a 23[person] under sub-section (4) of section 15 or a Police officer rescuing a 23[person] under sub-section (l) ...
Conditions to be observed before placing persons rescued under section 16 to parents or guardians
Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (2) of section 17, the magistrate making an inquiry under section 17 may, before passing an order for handi...
Closure of brothels and eviction of offenders from the premise
(1) A magistrate may, on receipt of information from the police or otherwise, that any house, room, place or any portion there of within a distance of 53[two ...
Application for being kept in a protective home or provided care and protection by court
(1) A 23[person] who is carrying on, or is being made to carry on, prostitution, may make an application, to the magistrate within the local limits of whose ...
Removal of prostitute from any place
(1) A magistrate on receiving information that any 23[person] residing in or frequenting any place within the local limits of his jurisdiction is a prostitute...
(1) The State Government may in its discretion establish 57[as many protective homes and corrective institutions under this Act as it thinks fit and such home...
Production of records
Every person or authority who is licensed under sub-section (3) of section 21 to establish or maintain, or, as the case may be, for maintaining, a protective...
No court, inferior to that of 62[a Metropolitan Magistrate or a Judicial Magistrate of the first class] shall try any offence under section 3, section 4, sect...
Power to establish Special Courts
(1) If the State Government is satisfied that it is necessary for the purpose of providing for speedy trial of offences under this Act in any district or met...
Power of Central Government to establish special courts
(1) If the Central Government is satisfied that it is necessary for the purpose of providing for speedy trial of offences under this Act and committed in mor...
Power of court to try cases summarily
Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), the State Government may, if it considers it necessary so to do, direc...
Power to make rules
(1) The State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Act. (2) In particular, and without pre...
Act not to be in derogation of certain other Acts
Nothing in this Act shall be construed to be in derogation of the provisions of the Reformatory Schools Act, 1897 (8 of 1897), or any State Act enacted in mod...
Repeal and savings
(1) As from the date of the coming into force in any State of the provisions other than section 1 of this Act, all State Acts relating to suppression of immor...
Section Magistrate competent to exercise the powers 7(1) District Magistrate 11(4) Metropolitan Magistrate or Judicial Magistrate of the first class 71[**...
1. This Act has been extended to Dadra and Nagar Haveli, w.e.f. 1st. July, 1965 by Reg. 6 of 1963, to Goa, Daman and Diu by Reg. 11 of 1963 and to the Union ...