Short title and extent
(1) This Act may be called the Hindu Minority and Guardianship Act, 1956.(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu Kashmir and applies t...
Act to be supplemental to Act 8 of 1890
The provisions of this Act shall be in addition to, and not, save as hereinafter expressly provided, in derogation of, the Guardians and Wards Act, 1890 (8 o...
Application of Act
(1) This Act applies—(a) to any person who is a Hindu by religion in any of its forms or developments, including a Virashaiva, a Lingayat or a follower of th...
In this Act,—(a) "minor" means a person who has not completed the age of eighteen years;(b) "major" means a person having the care of the person of a minor or...
Over-riding effect of Act
Save as otherwise expressly provided in this Act,—(a) any text, rule or interpretation of Hindu law or any custom or usage as part of that law in force immedi...
Natural guardians of a Hindu minor
The natural guardians of a Hindu, minor, in respect of the minor's person as well as in respect of the minor's property (excluding his or her undivided inter...
Natural guardianship of adopted son
The natural guardianship of an adopted son who is a minor passes, on adoption, to the adoptive father and after him to the adoptive mother....
Powers of natural guardian
(1) The natural guardian of a Hindu minor has power, subject to the provisions of this section, to do all acts which are necessary or reasonable and proper f...
Testamentary guardians and their powers
(1) A Hindu father entitled to act as the natural guardian of his minor legitimate children may, by will appoint a guardian for any of them in respect of the...
Incapacity of minor to act as guardian of property
A minor shall be incompetent to act as guardian of the property of any minor....
Welfare of minor to be paramount consideration
(1) In the appointment of declaration of any person as guardian of a Hindu minor by a court, the welfare of the minor shall be the paramount consideration.(2...