Short title and extent
(1) This Act may be called the Foreigners Act, 1946.(2) It extends to the whole of India....
In this Act, — (a) foreigner means a person who is not a citizen of India;(b) prescribed means prescribed by orders made under this Act;(c) specified mean...
Power to make orders
(1) The Central Government may by order make provision, either generally or with respect to all foreigners or with respect to any particular foreigner or any...
Power to exempt citizens of Commonwealth countries and other persons from application of Act in certain cases
(1) The Central Government may, by order, declare that all or any of the provisions of this Act or of any order made thereunder shall not apply, or shall appl...
(1) Any foreigner (hereinafter referred to as an internee) in respect of whom there is in force any order made under Clause (g) of sub-section (2) of Section...
Change of name
(1) No foreigner who was in India on the date on which this Act came into force shall, while in India after that date, assume or use or purport to assume or ...
Obligations of masters of vessels, etc
(1) The master of any vessel landing or embarking at a port in India passengers coming to or going from that port by sea and the pilot of any aircraft landin...
Obligation of hotel keepers and others to furnish particulars
(1) It shall be the duty of the keeper of any premises whether furnished or unfurnished where lodging or sleeping accommodation is provided for reward, to su...
Power to control places frequented by foreigners
(1) The prescribed authority may, subject to such conditions as may be prescribed, direct the owner or person having control of any premises used as a restau...
Determination of nationality
(1) When a foreigner is recognized as a national by the law of more than one foreign country or where for any reason it is uncertain what nationality, if any...
Burden of proof
If in any case not falling under Section 8 any question arises with reference to this Act or any order made or direction given thereunder, whether any person...
Power to exempt from application of Act
Repealed by the Foreigners Laws (Amendment) Act, (11 of 1957)....
Power to give effect to orders, directions, etc
(1) Any authority empowered by or under or in pursuance of the provisions of this Act to give any direction or to exercise any other power, may, in addition ...
Power to delegate authority
Any authority upon which any power to make or give any direction, consent or permission or to do any other act is conferred by this Act or by any order made ...
Attempts, etc., to contravene the provisions of this Act, etc
(1) Any person who attempts to contravene, or abets or attempts to abet, or does any act preparatory to, a contravention of, the provisions of this Act or of...
If any person contravenes the provisions of this Act or of any order made thereunder, or any direction given in pursuance of this Act or such, he shall be pu...
Protection to persons acting under this Act
No suit, prosecution or other legal proceedings shall lie against any person for anything which is in good faith done or intended to be done under this Act....
Application of other laws not barred
The provisions of this Act shall be in addition to, and not in derogation of, the provisions of the Registration of Foreigners Act, 1939 (16 of 1939) the I...
[Repealed by the Repealing and Amending Act, 1950 (35 of 1950)]...