PreambleNo.33 OF 1969[31st August, 1969]An Act to make provision relating to marriages of citizens of India outside India.BE it enacted by Parliament In the Tw...
.- This Act may be called Foreign Marriage Act, 1969. ...
- In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, ---(a) "degrees of prohibited relationship" shall have same meaning as in the Special Marriage Act, 1954 ...
.- For the purposes of this Act, the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint such of its diplomatic or consular officers as i...
|Chapter II||Solemnization of Foreign Marriages|
Conditions relating to solemnization of foreign countries
- A marriage between the parties one of whom at least is a citizen of India may be solemnized under this Act by or before a Marriage Officer in a Foreign coun...
Notice of intended marriage
- When a marriage is intended to be solemnized under this Act, the parties to the marriage shall give notice thereof in writing in the form specified in the F...
Marriage Notice Books
- The Marriage Officer shall Keep all notices given under section 5 with the records of his office and shall also forthwith enter a true copy of every such no...
Publication of notice
Where a notice under section 5 is given to the Marriage Officer, he shall cause it to be published--------(a) in his own office, by affixing a copy thereof to ...
Objection to marriage
- (1) Any person may, before the expiration of thirty days from the date of publication of the notice under section 7, object to the marriage on the ground th...
Solemnization of marriage where no objection made
If no objection is made within the period specified section 8 to an intended marriage, then, on the expiry of that period, the marriage may be solemnized. ...
Procedure on receipt of objection
(1) if an objection is made under section 8 to an intended marriage, the Marriage Officer shall not solemnize until he has inquired into the matter of the obj...
Marriage not to be in contravention of local laws
(1) The Marriage Officer may, for reasons to be recorded in writing, refuse to solemnize a marriage under this Act if the intended marriage is prohibited by a...
Declaration by parties and witnesses
Before the marriage is solemnized, the parties and three witnesses shall, in the presence of the Marriage Officer, sign a declaration in the form specified in...
Place and form of solemnization
(1) A marriage by or before a Marriage Officer undertakings shall be solemnized at the official house of the Marriage Officers and open doors between the pres...
Certificate of marriage
(1) Whenever a marriage is solemnized under this Act, the Marriage Officer shall enter a certificate thereof in the form specified in the Third Schedule in a ...
Validity of foreign marriages of India
Subject to the other provisions contained in this Act, a marriage solemnized in the manner provided in this Act shall be good and valid in law. ...
New notice when marriage not solemnized within six months
Whenever a marriage is not solemnized within six months from the date on which notice thereof has been given to the Marriage Officer as required under section...
|Chapter III||Registration of Foreign Marriages solemnized under other laws.|
Registration of foreign marriages
(1) Where ---(a) a Marriage Officer is satisfied that a marriage has been duly solemnized in a foreign country in accordance with the law of that country bet...
|Chapter IV||Matrimonial Relief in respect of Foreign Marriage.|
Matrimonial relief to be under special marriage Act, 1954
(1) Subject to the other provisions contained in this section, the provisions of chapter IV, V, VI and VII of the Special Marriage Act, 1954 (43 of 1954), sh...
Punishment for bigamy
(1) Any person whose marriage is solemnized or deemed to have been solemnized under this Act and who, during the subsistence of his marriage, contracts any ot...
Punishment of contravention of certain other conditions for marriage
Any citizen of India who procures a marriage of himself or herself to be solemnized under this Act in contravention of the condition specified in clause (c) o...
Punishment for false declaration
If any citizen of India for the purpose of procuring a marriage, intentionally ---(a) where a declaration is required by this Act, makes a false declaration; ...
Punishment for wrongful action of Marriage Officer
Any Marriage Officer who knowingly and willfully solemnizes a marriage under this Act in contravention of any of the provisions of this Act shall be punishabl...
Recognition of marriages solemnized under law of other countries
If the central Government is satisfied that the law in force in any foreign country for the solemnization of marriages contains provisions similar to those c...
Certification of documents of marriages solemnized in accordance with local law in a foreign country
(1) Where ----(a) a marriage is solemnized in any foreign country specified in this behalf by the Central Government, by notification in the Official Gazette,...
Certified copy of entries to be evidence
Every certified copy purporting to be signed by the Marriages Officer of an entry of a marriage in the Marriage Certificate Book shall be received in evidence...
Correction of errors
(1) Any Marriage Officer who discovers any error in the form or substance of any entry in the Marriage Certificate Book may; within one month nest after the d...
Act not validity of marriages outside it
Nothing in this Act shall in any way affect the validity of a marriage solemnized in a foreign country otherwise than under the Act. ...
Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the purposed of that Act.(2) In particular, and without pr...
Amendment of Act 43 of 1954
In the Special Marriage Act, 1954, ----(a) in section 1, in sub-section (2), for the words "outside the said territories", the words "in the State of Jammu an...
The Indian Foreign Marriage Act, 1903 (14 of 1903), is hereby repealed. ...
Form of Notice of intended marriage
To, The Manager Officerfor............................ We hereby give you notice that a marriage under the Foreign Marriage Act, 1969 is intended to be sol...
Declaration to be made by the bridegroom
I, A.B., hereby declare as follows :----1.I am present time unmarried (or a widower or a divorcee, as the case may be)2.I have completed..........................
Form of certificate of marriage
I, E.F., hereby certify that on the..............day of..............19.........A.B.And C.D.............appeared before me and that the declaration required b...