Short title, extent, application and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 1976.(2) It extends to the whole of India, and it shall also apply to-(a) citizens of In...
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-(a) "association" means an association of individuals, whether incorporated or not, having an office ...
Application of other laws not barred
The provisions of this Act shall be in addition to, and not in derogation of, any other law for the time being in force....
|Chapter II||Regulation Of Foreign Contribution And Foreign Hospitality|
Candidate for election, etc., not to accept foreign contribution
(1) No foreign contribution shall be accepted by any-(a) candidate for election,(b) correspondent, columnist, cartoonist, editor, owner, printer or publisher...
Organization of a political nature not to accept foreign contribution except with the prior permission of the Central Government
(1) No organization of a political nature, not being a political party, shall, accept any foreign contribution except with the prior permission of the Central...
Certain associations and persons receiving foreign contribution to give intimation to the Central Government
4[(1) No association other than an organization referred to in sub-section (1) of section 5 having a definite cultural, economic, educational, religious or so...
Recipients of scholarships, etc., to give intimation to the Central Government
(1) Every citizen of India receiving any scholarship, stipend or any payment of a like nature from any foreign source shall give, within such time and in such...
Persons to whom section 4 shall not apply
Nothing contained in section 4 shall apply to the acceptance, by any person specified in that section, of any foreign contribution, where such contribution is...
Restrictions on acceptance of foreign hospitality
No member of a Legislature, office-bearer of a political party, 1[Judge,]government servant or employee of any corporation shall, while visiting -any country ...
Power of Central Government to prohibit receipt of foreign contribution, etc., in certain cases
The Central Government may-(a) prohibit any association, not specified in section 4, or any person, from accepting any foreign contribution;(b) 5[without preju...
Application to be made in prescribed form for obtaining prior permission to accept foreign contribution or hospitality
(1) Every individual, association, organization or other person, who is required by or under this Act to obtain the prior permission of the Central Government...
Power to prohibit payment of currency received in contravention of the Act
Where the Central Government is satisfied, after making such enquiry as it may deem fit, that any person has in his custody or control any article or currency...
Recipients of foreign contribution to maintain accounts, etc.
Every association, referred to in section 6, shall maintain, in such form and in such manner as may be prescribed,-(a) an account of any foreign contribution ...
Inspection of accounts or records
If the Central Government has, for any reason, to be recorded in writing, any ground to suspect that any provision of this Act has been, or is being, contrave...
Seizure of accounts or records
If, after inspection of an account or record referred to in section 14, the authorized officer has any reasonable cause to believe that any provision of this ...
Audit of accounts
Where any organization or association fails to furnish any returns under this Act within the time specified therefor or the returns so furnished are not in a...
Seizure of article or currency received in contravention of the Act
If any gazetted officer, authorized in this behalf by the Central Government, by general or special order, has any reason to believe that any person has in hi...
Seizure to be made in accordance with the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973
Every seizure made under this Act shall be made in accordance with the provision of section 100 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974)....
Confiscation of article or currency obtained in contravention of the Act
Any article or currency which is seized under section 16 shall be liable to confiscation if such article or currency has been adjudged under section 19 to hav...
Adjudication of confiscation
Any confiscation referred to in section 18 may be adjudged-(a) without limits, by the Court of Session within the local limits of whose jurisdiction the seizu...
Opportunity to be given before adjudication of confiscation
No order of adjudication of confiscation shall be made unless a reasonable opportunity of making a representation against such confiscation has been given to ...
(1) Any person aggrieved by any order made under section 19 may prefer an appeal-(a) where the order has been made by the Court of Session, to the High Court ...
Penalty for article or currency obtained in contravention of section 12
If any person, on whom any prohibitory order has been served under section 12, pays, delivers, transfers or otherwise deals with, in any manner whatsoever, an...
Punishment for the contravention of any provision of the Act
(1) Whoever accepts, or assists any person, political party or organization in accepting any foreign contribution or any currency from a foreign source, in co...
Power to impose additional fine where article or currency is not available for confiscation
Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), the court trying a person, who, in relation to any article or currency...
Penalty for offences where no separate punishment has been provided
Whoever fails to comply with any provision of this Act for which no separate penalty has been provided in this Act shall be punished with imprisonment for a t...
Prohibition of acceptance of foreign contribution
Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, whoever, having been convicted of any offence under sub-section (1) of section 23 or section 25, insofar as s...
Offences by companies
(1) Where an offence under this Act or any rule made thereunder has been committed by a company, every person who, at the time the offence was, committed, was...
Bar to the prosecution of offences under the Act
No court shall take cognizance of any offence under this Act, except with the previous sanction of the Central Government or any officer authorized by that Go...
Investigation into cases under the Act
Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), any offence punishable under this Act may also be investigated into by...
Protection of action taken in good faith
No suit or other legal proceedings shall lie against the Central Government in respect of any loss or damage caused or likely to be caused by anything which i...
Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the provisions of this Act.(2) In particular, and without...
Power to exempt
If the Central Government is of opinion that it is necessary or expedient in the interests of the general public so to do, it may, by order and subject to suc...
Act not to apply to government transactions
Nothing contained in this Act shall apply to any transaction between the Government of India and the government of any foreign country or territory. Foot Note...
Foot Notes 1 Inserted by the FCR (Amendment) Act, 1985, w.r.e.f. 20th. October, 1984. 2 Substituted by the FCR (Amendment) Act, 1985, w.r.e.f. 20th. Octo...