Short title extend and duration
1. Short title extend and duration. –1. This Act may be called the Essential Services Maintenance Act, 1968.2. It extends to the whole of India: Pr...
2. Definitions.- 1. In this Act,- a. "essential service" means- i. any postal, telegraph or telephone service; ...
Power to prohibit strikes in certain employments
3. Power to prohibit strikes in certain employments. – 1. Power to prohibit strikes in certain employments. If the Central Government is satisfied that ...
Penalty for illegal strikes
4. Penalty for illegal strikes.- Any person who commences a strike which is illegal under this Act or goes or remains on, or otherwise takes part in, any suc...
Penalty for instigation, etc.
5. Penalty for instigation, etc.- Any person who instigates, or incites other persons to take part in, or otherwise acts in furtherance of, a strike which is...
Penalty for giving financial aid to illegal strikes
6. Penalty for giving financial aid to illegal strikes. - Any person who knowingly expends or supplies any money in furtherance or support of a strike which ...
Power to arrest without warrant
7. Power to arrest without warrant.- Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898, (5 of 1898), any police officer may arrest w...
Act to override other laws
The provisions of this Act and of any Order issued there under shall have effect notwithstanding anything inconsistent there with. 68 contained in the Industr...
Repeal and saving
9. Repeal and saving. –1. The Essential Services Maintenance Ordinance, 1968, (9 of 1968), hereby repealed. 2. Notwithstanding such repeal, anythin...