Short title, commencement and duration
1. This Act may be called the Essential Commodities (Special Provisions) Act, 1981. 2. It shall come into force on such date as the Central Governm...
Act 10 of 1955 to have effect subject to certain special provisions for a temporary period
During the continuance in force of this Act, the Essential Commodities Act, 1955 (hereinafter referred to as the principal Act) shall have effect subject to ...
Amendment of section 2
3. Amendment of section 2.- In section 2 of the principal Act,-- 1. clause (ia) shall be re-numbered as clause (iia), and before clause (iia) as so re-n...
Amendment of section 6A
In section 6A of the principal Act, for the proviso to sub-section (2), the following proviso shall be substituted, namely:-- "Provided that in the case of ...
Amendment of section 6C
5. Amendment of section 6C.-In section 6C of the principal Act,-- a. in sub-section (1), for the words "any judicial authority appointed by the State Go...
Amendment of section 6E
In section 6E of the principal Act,--a. for the words, figure and letter "the judicial authority appointed under section 6C", the words, figure and lett...
Amendment of section 7
In section 7 of the principal Act,-- a. in sub-section (1), the proviso to sub-clause (ii) of clause (a) shall be omitted; b. the proviso to sub-se...
Amendment of section 8
To section 8 of the principal Act, the following proviso shall be added, namely:-- "Provided that where a person has abetted the contravention of any order fo...
Amendment of section 10A
9. Amendment of section 10A.-In section 10A of the principal Act, after the word "cognizable", the words " and non-bailable" shall be inserted....
Insertion of new section 10AA
In the Essential Commodities Act, 1955 (10 of 1955), after section 10A, the following section shall be inserted, namely:- ...
Omission of section 12
Section 12 of the principal Act shall be omitted. ...
Power to arrest
Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), no officer below the rank of an officer in cha...
Substitution of new sections for section 12A.-
11. Substitution of new sections for section 12A.- For section 12A of the principal Act, the following sections shall be substituted, namely:-- ...
Constitution of Special Courts
1. The State Government may, for the purpose of providing speedy trial of the offences under this Act, by notification in the Official Gazette, constitu...
Offences triable by Special Courts
1. Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code,-- a. all offences under this Act shall be triable only by the Special Court constituted for the...
Appeal and revision
The High Court may exercise, so far as may be applicable, all the powers conferred by Chapters XXIX and XXX of the Code on a High Court, as if a Special Cour...
Application of Code to proceedings before a Special Court
Save as otherwise provided in this Act, the provisions of the Code (including the provisions as to bail and bonds) shall apply to the proceedings before a Sp...