Short title, extent, commencement and application
1. This Act may be called the Dock Workers (Safety, Health and Welfare) Act, 1986.2. It extends to the whole of India.3. It shall come into fo...
2. Definitions. –In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, -a. “Appropriate Government” means, in relation to any major port, the Central Gover...
3. Inspectors. –1. The appropriate Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint such person as it thinks fit to be the Chief Inspecto...
Powers of Inspectors
4. Powers of Inspectors. –An Inspector may, at any port for which he is appointed, -a. Enter, with such assistance (if any), as he thinks fit, any ship,...
Powers of Inspectors where employment of dock workers are dangerous
5. Powers of Inspectors where employment of dock workers are dangerous. –1. If it appears to an Inspector that any place at which any dock work is being ...
Facilities to be afforded to an Inspector
6. Facilities to be afforded to an Inspector. -The owner or the person in charge of the place at which any dock work is being carried on, shall afford the Ch...
Restrictions on disclosure of information
7. Restrictions on disclosure of information. – 1. All copies of, and extracts from, registers or other records in relation to any dock work and all oth...
Any person aggrieved by an order under section 5 may, within fifteen days the date on which the order is communicated to him, prefer an appeal to the Chief In...
9. Advisory Committee. –1. The appropriate Government treaty constitute an Advisory Committee to advise upon such matters arising out of the administrat...
Power of appropriate Government to direct inquiry into cases of accidents or diseases
1. The appropriate Government may, if it considers it expedient to do so, appoint a competent person to inquire into the causes of any accident occurring...
Obligations of dock workers
11. Obligations of dock workers. – 1. No dock worker shall-a. Wilfully interfere with, or misuse, any appliance, convenience or other thing provided...
Power to exempt
12. Power to exempt. –The appropriate Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, exempt from all of any or the provisions of this Act and of' th...
Protection of action taken in good faith
13. Protection of action taken in good faith. –No suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie against any person for anything which is in good fait...
14. Penalties. – 1. Whoever, -a. Wilfully obstructs an Inspector in exercise of any power conferred by or under this Act or fails to produce on dema...
Determination of the persons responsible for the offence in certain cases
15. Determination of the persons responsible for the offence in certain cases. –If the person committing an offence made punishable by this Act or the regulat...
Power of court to make orders
16. Power of court to make orders. – 1. Where a person is convicted or an offence punishable under this Act the court may, in addition to awarding, him ...
Provisions relating to jurisdiction
17. Provisions relating to jurisdiction. – 1. No court inferior to that of metropolitan magistrate or a magistrate of the first class shall try any offe...
Provision regarding fine
18. Provision regarding fine. –Notwithstanding anything contained in section 29 of the Code of' Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), it shall be lawful for ...
General provision for punishment for other offences
19. General provision for punishment for other offences. –Any person who contravenes any provision of this Act shall, if no other penalty is provided for suc...
Power to make rules
20. Power to make rules. –The appropriate Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules consistent with this Act for all or any of the ...
Power to make regulations
21. Power to make regulations. – 1. The appropriate Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make regulations consistent with this Act f...
General provision relating to rules and regulations
22. General provision relating to rules and regulations. – 1. The power to make rules and regulations connected by sections 20 and 21 is subject to the ...
Amendment of Act 9 of 1948
23. Amendment of Act 9 of 1948. –In the Dock Workers (Regulation of Employment) Act, 1948, in section 3, in sub-section (2), -a. In clause (g) the words...
24. Repeal. –The Indian Dock Labourers Act, 1934 (19 of 1934), is hereby repealed....
25. Saving. –The Indian Dock Labourers Regulations, 1948 made under section 5 of the Indian Dock Labourers Act, 1934 (19 of 1934), so repeated and the Dock Wo...