Short title and extent
(1) This Act may be called the Contempt of Courts Act, 1971. (2) It extends to the whole of India: that it shall not apply to the State of Jammu and Kashmir ex...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires- (a) "contempt of court" means civil contempt or criminal contempt; (b) "civil contempt" means willful disob...
Innocent publication and distribution of matter not contempt
(1) A person shall not be guilty of contempt of court on the ground that he has published (whether by words, spoken or written, or by signs, or by visible rep...
Fair and accurate report of judicial proceeding not contempt
Subject to the provisions contained in section 7, a person shall not be guilty of contempt of court for publishing a fair and accurate report of a judicial pr...
Fair criticism of judicial act not contempt
A person shall not be guilty of contempt of court for publishing any fair comment on the merits of any case which has been heard and finally decided. ...
Complaint against presiding officers of subordinate courts when not contempt
A person shall not be guilty of contempt of court in respect of any statement made by him in good faith concerning the presiding officer of any subordinate co...
Publication of information relating to proceeding in chambers or in camera not contempt except in certain cases
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, a person shall not be guilty of contempt of court for publishing a fair and accurate report of a judicial ...
Other defenses not affected
Nothing contained in this Act shall be construed as implying that any other defense which would have been a valid defense in any proceedings for contempt of c...
Act not to imply enlargement of scope of contempt
Nothing contained in this Act shall be construed as implying that any disobedience, breach, publication or other act is punishable as contempt of court which ...
Power of High Court to punish contempt of subordinate courts
Every High Court shall have and exercise the same jurisdiction, powers and authority, in accordance with the same procedure and practice, in respect of contem...
Power of High Court to try offences committed or offenders found outside jurisdiction
A High Court shall have jurisdiction to inquire into or try a contempt of itself or of any court subordinate to it, whether the contempt is alleged to have be...
Punishment for contempt of court
(1) Save as otherwise expressly provided in this Act or in any other law, a contempt of court may be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may ex...
Contempt not punishable in certain cases
Notwithstanding anything contained in any law for the time being in force, no court shall impose a sentence under this Act for a contempt of court unless it i...
Procedure where contempt is in the face of the Supreme Court or a High Court
(1) When it is alleged, or appears to the Supreme Court or the High Court upon its own view, that a person has been guilty of contempt committed in its presen...
Cognizance of criminal contempt in other cases
(1) In the case of a criminal contempt, other than a contempt referred to in section 14, the Supreme Court or the High Court may take action on its own motion...
Contempt by judge, magistrate or other person acting judicially
(1) Subject to the provisions of any law for the time being in force, a judge, magistrate or other person acting judicially shall also be liable for contempt ...
Procedure after cognizance
(1) Notice of every proceeding under section l5 shall be served personally on the person charged, unless the court for reasons to be recorded directs otherwis...
Hearing of cases of criminal contempt to be by Benches
(1) Every case of criminal contempt under section 15 shall be heard and determined by a Bench of not less than two judges. (2) Sub-section (1) shall not apply ...
(1) An appeal shall lie as of right from any order or decision of the High Court in the exercise of its jurisdiction to punish for contempt- (a) where the orde...
Limitation for actions for contempt
No court shall initiate any proceedings of contempt, either on its own motion or otherwise, after the expiry of a period of one year from the date on which th...
Act not to apply to Nyaya Panchayats or other village courts
Nothing contained in this Act shall apply in relation to contempt of Nyaya Panchayats or other villages courts, by whatever name known, for the administration...
Act to be in addition to, and not in derogation of, other laws relating to contempt
The provisions of this Act shall be in addition to, and not in derogation of the provisions of any other law relating to contempt of courts. ...
Power of Supreme Court and High Courts to make rules
The Supreme Court or, as may be, any High Court, may make rules, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, providing for any matter relating to its pr...
The Contempt of Courts Act, 1952 (32 of 1952), is hereby repealed. ...
Rules To Regulate Proceedings For Contempt Of Supreme Court, 1975
GSR 142- In exercise of the powers under section 23 of the Contempt of Courts Act, 1971 read with article 145 of the Constitution of India and all other power...