(24 December, 1986)An Act to provide for better protection of the interests of consumers and for that purpose to make provision for the establishment of con...
Short title, extent, commencement and application
(1) This Act may be called the Consumer Protection Act, 1986.(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.(3) It shall come int...
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, -(a) "appropriate laboratory" means a laboratory or organization –(i) recognized by the Central Gover...
Act not in derogation of any other law
The provisions of this Act shall be in addition to and not in derogation of the provisions of any other law for the time being in force. ...
The central consumer protection council
(1) The Central Government may, by notification, establish with effect from such date as it may specify in such notification, a Council to be known as the Ce...
Procedure for meetings of the central council
(1) The Central Council shall meet as and when necessary, but at least one meeting of the Council shall be held every year.(2) The Central Council shall meet a...
Objects of the central council
The objects of the Central Council shall be to promote and protect the rights of the consumers such as, -(a) the right to be protected against the marketing ...
The state consumer protection councils
(1) The State Government may, by notification, establish with effect from such date as it may specify in such notification, a Council to be known as the Consu...
Objects of the state council
The objects of every State Council shall be to promote and protect within the State the rights of the consumers laid down in clauses (a) to (f) of section 6....
Establishment of consumer disputes redressal agencies
There shall be established for the purposes of this Act, the following agencies, namely :-(a) a Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum to be known as the "Distric...
Composition of the district forum
[ 27 (1) Each District Forum shall consist of, -(a) a person who is, or has been, or is qualified to be a District Judge, who shall be its President;(b) two...
Jurisdiction of the district forum
(1) Subject to the other provisions of this Act, the District Forum shall have jurisdiction to entertain complaints where the value of the goods or services a...
Manner in which complaint shall be made
A complaint in relation to any goods sold or delivered or agreed to be sold or delivered or any service provided or agreed to be provided may be filed with a...
Procedure on receipt of complaint
(1) The District Forum shall, on receipt of a complaint, if it relates to any goods, -(a) refer a copy of the complaint to the opposite party mentioned in th...
Finding of the district forum
(1) If, after the proceeding conducted under section 13, the District Forum is satisfied that the goods complained against suffer from any of the defects spe...
Any person aggrieved by an order made by the District Forum may prefer an appeal against such order to the State Commission within a period of thirty days fr...
Composition of the state commission
Each State Commission shall consist of –(a) a person who is or has been a Judge of a High Court, appointed by the State Government, who shall be its President...
Jurisdiction of the state commission
Subject to the other provisions of this Act, the State Commission shall have jurisdiction –(a) to entertain -(i) complaints where the value of the goods or s...
Procedure applicable to state commissions
The provisions of sections 12, 13 and 14 and the rules made thereunder for the disposal of complaints by the District Forum shall, with such modifications as...
Vacancy in the office of the president
When the office of the President of the District Forum or of the State Commission, as the case may be, is vacant or when any such President is, by reason of ...
Any person aggrieved by an order made by the State Commission in exercise of its powers conferred by sub-clause (i) of clause (a) of section 17 may prefer a...
Composition of the national commission
(1) The National Commission shall consist of -(a) a person who is or has been a Judge of the Supreme Court, to be appointed by the Central Government, who sh...
Jurisdiction of the National commission.
Subject to the other provisions of this Act, the National Commission shall have jurisdiction –(a) to entertain –(i) complaints where the value of the goods o...
Power of and procedure applicable to the national commission
The National Commission shall, in the disposal of any complaints or any proceedings before it, have –(a) the powers of a civil court as specified in sub-secti...
Any person aggrieved by an order made by the National Commission in exercise of its power conferred by sub-clause (i) of clause (a) of section 21, may prefe...
Finality of orders
Every order of a District Forum, State Commission or the National Commission shall, if no appeal has been preferred against such order under the provisions o...
(1) The District Forum, the State Commission or the National Commission shall not admit a complaint unless it is filed within two years from the date on whic...
(1) The National Commission shall have administrative control over all the State Commissions in the following matters, namely :-(i) calling for periodical r...
Enforcement of orders by the forum, the state commission or the National
Every order made by the District Forum, the State Commission or the National Commission may be enforced by the District Forum, the State Commission or the Na...
Dismissal of frivolous or vexatious complaints
Where a complaint instituted before the District Forum, the State Commission or, as the case may be, the National Commission is found to be frivolous or vexa...
Where a trader or a person against whom a complaint is made or the complainant fails or omits to comply with any order made by the District Forum, the State ...
Protection of Action taken in good faith
No suit, prosecution or other legal proceedings shall lie against the members of the District Forum, the State Commission or the National Commission or any o...
Power to remove difficulties
(1) If any difficulty arises in giving effect to the provisions of this Act, the Central Government may, by order in the Official Gazette, make such provisio...
Vacancies or defects in appointment not to invalidate orders
No act or proceeding of the District Forum, the State Commission or the National Commission shall be invalid by reason only of the existence of any vacancy a...
Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification, make rules for carrying out the provisions contained in [ 56 clause (a) of sub-section (1) of section 2 56 ]...
Laying of rules
(1) Every rule made by the Central Government under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is ...