Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Commission of Sati (Prevention) Act, 1987.(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.(3) It sha...
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-(a) "Code" means the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973;(b) "glorification", in relation to sati, wheth...
Attempt to commit sati
Notwithstanding anything contained in the Indian Penal Code, whoever attempts to commit sati and does any act towards such commission shall be punishable with...
Abetment of sati
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Indian Penal Code, if any person commits sati, whoever abets the commission of such sati, either directly or ind...
Punishment for glorification of sati
Whoever does any act for the glorification of sati shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than one year but which may extend...
Power to prohibit certain acts
(1) Where the Collector or the District Magistrate is of the opinion that sati or any abetment thereof is being, or is about to be committed, he may, by order...
Power to remove certain temples or other structures
(1) The State Government may, if it is satisfied that in any temple or other structure which has been in existence for not less than twenty years, any form of...
Power to seize certain properties
(1) Where the Collector or the District Magistrate has reason to believe that any funds or property have been collected or acquired for the purpose of glorifi...
|Part IV||Special Courts|
Trial of offences under this Act
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code, all offences under this Act shall be triable only by a Special Court constituted under this section.(2) Th...
Special Public Prosecutors
(1) For every Special Court, the State Government shall appoint a person to be a Special Public Prosecutor. (2) A person shall be eligible to be appointed as ...
Procedure and powers of Special Courts
(1) A Special Court may take cognizance of any offence, without the accused being committed to it for trial, upon receiving a complaint of facts which constit...
Power of Special Court with respect to other offences
(1) When trying any offence under this Act, a Special Court may also try any other offence with which the accused may, under the Code, be charged at the same ...
Forfeiture of funds or property
Where a person has been convicted of an offence under this Act, the Special Court trying such offence may, if it is considered necessary so to do, declare tha...
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code, an appeal shall lie as a matter of right from any judgment, sentence or order, not being an interlocutory ...
Protection of action taken under this Act
No suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie against the State Government or any officer or authority of the State Government for anything which i...
Burden of proof
Where any person is prosecuted of an offence under section 4, the burden of proving that he had not committed the offence under the said section shall be on h...
Obligation of certain persons to report about the commission of offence under this Act
(1) All officers of Government are hereby required and empowered to assist the police in the execution of the provisions of this Act or any rule or order made...
Person convicted of an offence under section 4 to be disqualified from inheriting certain properties
A person convicted of an offence under sub-section (1) of section 4 in relation to the commission of sati shall be disqualified from inheriting the property o...
Amendment of Act 43 of 1951
In the Representation of the People Act, 1951,-(a) in section 8, in sub-section (2), after the proviso, the following proviso shall be inserted, namely:-"furt...
Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the provisions of this Act.(2) Every rule made under this...
Repeal of existing laws
(1) All laws in force in any State immediately before the commencement of this Act in that State which provide for the prevention or the glorification of sati...
1. Notified date is 21st. March, 1988 vide Notification No. G.S.R. 359(E)....