Short title, extend and commencement
- (1) This Act may be called the Commissions of Inquiry Act, 1952.(2) [Note: Subs. By Act 79 of 1971, sec. 2 for sub-sec. (2)] It extends to the whole of Indi...
- In this Act, unless the content otherwise requires-(a) "appropriate Government" means-(i) the Central Government, in relation to a Commission appointed by i...
Construction of references to laws not in force in the State of
Jammu and Kashmir
[Note: Ins. by Act 79 of 1971, sec. 4.] Any reference in this Act to a law, which is not in force in the State of Jammu and Kashmir, shall, in relation to th...
Appointment of Commission
- (1) The appropriate Government may, if it is of opinion that it is necessary so to do, and shall, if resolution in this behalf is passed by ( [ Note : Subs....
Powers of Commission
- The Commission shall have the powers of a...
Additional powers of Commission
- (1) Where the appropriate Government is of opinion that, having regard to the nature of the inquiry to be made and other circumstances of the case, all or a...
[(Note: - Ins. by Act 63 of 1988, sec.2) Power of Commission to appoint assessors
- The Commission may, for the purpose of conducting any inquiry, appoint persons having special knowledge of any matter connected with the inquiry as assessor...
Statements made by persons to the Commission
- No statement made by a person in the course of giving evidence before the Commission shall subject him to, or be used against him in, any civil or criminal ...
Persons not obliged to disclose secret process of manufacture of goods in certain cases
- [Note: Ins. by Act 79 of 1971, sec. 10, for sec. 7.] Except in cases where a Commission in expressly required to inquire into the process of manufacture of ...
Commission to cease to exist when so notified
- [Note: Subs. by Act 79 of 1971, sec. 10, for sec. 7.] (1) The appropriate Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, declare that-(a) a Commi...
Procedure to be followed by the Commission
- The commission shall, subject to any rules that may be made in this behalf, have power to regulate its own procedure (including the fixing of places and tim...
Inquiry not to be interrupted by reason of vacancy or change in the constitution of the Commission
- [ Note: Ins. by Act 79 of 1971, sec. 12.] (1) Where the Commission consists of two or more members, it may act notwithstanding the absence of the Chairman o...
Right of cross examination and representation by legal practitioner
- The appropriate Government, every person referred to in section 8B and, with the permission of the Commission, any other person whose evidence is recorded b...
Protection of action taken in good faith
- No suit or other legal proceeding shall lie against the appropriate Government, the Commission or any member thereof, or any person acting under the directi...
Members, etc., to be public servants
- Every member of the Commission and every officer appointed or authorized by the Commissioner in exercise of functions under this Act shall be deemed to be a...
Penalty for acts calculated to bring the Commission or any member thereof into disrepute
- [ Note: Ins. by Act 79 0f 1971, sec. 13.] (1) if any person, by words either spoken or intended to be read, makes or publishes any statement or does any o...
Act to apply to other inquiring authorities in certain cases
- Where any authority (by whatever name called), other than a Commission appointed under section 3, has been or is set up under any resolution or order of the...
Power to make rules
- (1) The appropriate Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the purpose of this Act.a. (2) In particular, and withou...