This Act may be called the Citizenship Act, 1955....
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,- (a) "a Government in India" means the Central Government or a State Government. (b) "citizen" in relat...
Citizenship by birth
1[(1) Except as provided in sub-section (2), every person born in India,- (a) on or after the 26th day of January, 1950, but before the commencement of the Ci...
Citizenship by descent
(1) A person born outside India,- (a) on or after the 26th January, 1950, but before the commencement of the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 1992, shall be a ci...
Citizenship by registration
(1) Subject to the provisions of this section and such conditions and restrictions as may be prescribed, the prescribed authority may, on application made in ...
Citizenship by naturalization
(1) Where an application is made in the prescribed manner by any person of full age and capacity who is not a citizen of a country specified in Schedule I for...
Special provisions as to citizenship of persons covered by the Assam Accord
(1) For the purposes of this section- (a) "Assam" means the territories included in the State of Assam immediately before the commencement of the Citizenship...
Citizenship by incorporation of territory
(1) If any territory becomes a part of India, the Central Government may, by order notified in the Official Gazette, specify the persons who shall be citizens...
Renunciation of citizenship
(1) If any citizen of India of full age and capacity, who is also a citizen or national of another country, makes in the prescribed manner a declaration renou...
Termination of citizenship
(1) Any citizen of India who by naturalization, registration or otherwise voluntarily acquires, or has at any time between the 26th January, 1950 and the comm...
Deprivation of citizenship
(1) A citizen of India who is such by naturalization or by virtue only of clause (c) of Article 5 of the Constitution or by registration otherwise than under ...
Every person who is a citizen of a Commonwealth country specified in Schedule I shall, by virtue of that citizenship, have the status of a Commonwealth citize...
Power to confer rights of Indian citizen on citizens of certain countries
(1) The Central Government may, by order notified in the Official Gazette, make provisions on a basis of reciprocity for the conferment of all or any of the r...
Certificate of citizenship in case of doubt
The Central Government may, in such cases as it thinks fit, certify that a person with respect to whose citizenship of India a doubt exists, is a citizen of I...
Disposal of application under sections 5 and 6
(1) The prescribed authority or the Central Government may, in its discretion, grant or refuse an application under section 5 or section 6 and shall not be re...
(1) Any person aggrieved by an order made under this Act by the prescribed authority or any officer or other authority (other than the Central Government) may...
Delegation of powers
The Central Government may, by order, direct that any power which is conferred on it by any of the provisions of this Act other than those of section 10 and s...
Any person who, for the purpose of procuring anything to be done or not to be done under this Act, knowingly makes any representation which is false in a mate...
Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the purposes of this Act. (2) In particular and without prejud...
[Repealed by the Repealing and Amending Act, 1960 (58 of 1960)] ...
Citizen of a Country
[Sections 2(1)(b) and 5(1)(e)] A. The following Commonwealth countries: 1. United Kingdom 2. Canada 3. Commonwealth of Australia 4. New Zealand 5. Union of Sou...
Oath Of Allegiance
[Sections 5(2) and 6(2)] I, A. B. _________ do solemnly affirm (or swear) that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of India as by law es...
Qualifications For Naturalisation
[Section 6(1)] The qualifications for naturalization of a person who is not a citizen of a country specified in Schedule I are:- (a) that he is not a subject o...