Short title, extent and commencement
.- (1) This Act may be called the Cigarettes (Regulation of Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 1975.(2) It extends to the whole of India.(3) It shall...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-(a) "advertisement" includes any notice, circular and other document and also includes any visible represe...
Restrictions on trade and commerce in, and production, supply and distribution of, cigarettes
(1) No person shall, directly or indirectly, produce supply or distribute cigarettes unless every package of cigarettes produced supplied or distributed by h...
Manner in which specified warning shall be made
.- (1) The Specified warning on a package of cigarette shall be-(a) legible and prominent ;(b) conspicuous as to size and colour;(c) in such style of letter...
Restrictions on advertisements of cigarettess
(1) No person shall advertise for the distribution, sale or supply of cigarettes, and no person shall take part in the publication of any such advertisement,...
Language in which the specified warning shall be expressed
(1) Where the language used on a package containing cigarettes or on its label or in any advertisement relating to such package is-(a) English, the specifie...
Size of letters
No warning shall be deemed to be in accordance with the provisions of this Act if the height of each letter used in such warning is less than three millimetr...
Power of entry and search
(1) Any police officer, not below the rank of a sub-inspector, may, if he has any reason to suspect that any provision of this Act has been, or is being, cont...
Power of seize
(1) If any police officer, not below the rank of a sub-inspector, has any reason to believe that, in respect of any package of cigarettes, the provisions of ...
Confiscation of Packages
.- Any package of cigarettes, in respect of which any provision of this Act has been or is being contravened, shall be liable to confiscation; that, where it ...
Power to give option to pay costs in lieu of confiscation
(1) Whenever any confiscation is authorised by this Act, the court adjudging it may, subject to such conditions as may be specified in the order adjudging th...
Liability to penalty
.- Any person who carries on any trade or commerce in, or who produces, supplies or distributes, cigarettes, shall, if any package of such cigarettes does not...
Confiscation or penalty not to interfere with other punishments
.- No confiscation made,, costs ordered to be paid or penalty imposed under this Act shall prevent the infliction of any punishment to which the person affec...
.- Any confiscation may be adjudged, costs may be ordered to be paid or penalty may be imposed,-(a) without any limit, by the principal civil court of origina...
Giving of opportunity to the owner of seized packages
(1) No order adjudging confiscation or directing payment of costs or imposing penalty shall be unless the owner of the package of cigarettes has been given a...
(1) Any person, aggrieved by any decision by any decision of the court adjudging a confiscation, ordering the payment of costs or imposing a penalty, may pre...
.-Any person who,-(a) sells, or distributes or supplies in the course of any trade or commerce, any package of cigarettes which does not contain, either on th...
Offences by companies
.- (1) Where an offence under this Act has been committed by a company, every person, who, at the time the offence was committed, was in charge of, and was re...
Offences to be cognizable and bailable
.- (1) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973, an offence punishable under this Act shall be bailable.(2) For the avoidan...
Protection of action taken in good faith
.- No suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie against the Central Government or any State Government or any officer of the Central Government or...
Power to make rules
,- (1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the provisions of this Act.(2) In particular, and without...
Act not to apply to cigarettes which are exported
Nothing contained in this Act shall apply to any cigarette or package of cigarettes which is exported: that nothing in this section shall be deemed to author...