Short title, extent and commencement
1. This Act may be called the Carriage by Road Act, 2007.2. It extends to the whole of India, except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.3. It shal...
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-a. "common carrier" means a person engaged in the business of collecting, storing, forwarding or dis...
Persons not to engage in business of common carrier without registration
1. No person shall engage in the business of a common carrier, after the commencement of this Act, unless he has been granted a certificate of registrati...
Application for grant or renewal of registration
1. Any person, who is engaged or intends to engage in the business of a common carrier, shall apply for the grant or renewal of a certificate of registra...
Suspension or cancellation of registration
1. If the registering authority is satisfied that the holder of certificate of registration has failed to comply with any of the provisions of sub-sectio...
1. Any person aggrieved by an order of the registering authority refusing to grant or renew a certificate of registration or suspending or revoking a reg...
Submission of annual return
The State Transport Authority in respect of each State or Union territory shall submit annually to the Ministry or Department of the Central Government dealin...
Goods forwarding note
1. Every consignor shall execute a goods forwarding note, in such form and manner as may be prescribed, which shall include a declaration about the value...
1. A common carrier shall,-a. in case where the goods are to be loaded by the consignor, on the completion of such loading; orb. in any other case...
Liability of common carrier
1. The liability of the common carrier for loss of, or damage to any consignment, shall be limited to such amount as may be prescribed having regard to t...
Rates of charge to be fixed by common carrier for carriage of consignment at a higher risk rate
Every common carrier may require payment for the higher risk undertaken by him in carrying a particular consignment at such rate of charge as he may fix and ...
Conditions limiting exonerating the liability of the common carrier
1. Every common carrier shall be liable to the consignor for the loss or damage to any consignment in accordance with the goods forwarding note, where su...
Provision for carriage of goods of dangerous or hazardous nature to human life
1. No goods of dangerous or hazardous nature to human life shall be carried by a common carrier except in accordance with such procedure and after comply...
Power of Central Government to prohibit carriage of certain class of goods
The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, in public interest, the goods or class or classes of goods which shall not be ca...
Right of common carrier in case of consignee's default
1. If the consignee fails to take delivery of any consignment of goods within a period of thirty days from the date of notice given by the common carrier...
Notice for institution of a suit
No suit or other legal proceeding shall be instituted against a common carrier for any loss of, or damage to, the consignment, unless notice in writing of the...
General responsibility of common carrier
Save as otherwise provided in this Act, a common carrier shall be responsible for the loss, destruction, damage or deterioration in transit or non-delivery of...
Punishment for contravention in relation to non-registration, carrying goods of dangerous or hazardous nature, or prohibited goods
1. Whoever contravenes the provisions of section 3, section 13 or a notification issued under section 14 shall be punishable for the first offence with f...
Composition of offences
1. Any offence committed under section 18, may either before or after the institution of the prosecution, be compounded by such officers or authorities an...
Power to make rules
1. The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the provisions of this Act.2. In particular, an...
Power to remove difficulties
1. If any difficulty arises in giving effect to the provisions of this Act, the Central Government may, by general or special order published in the Offi...
Repeal and saving
1. The Carriers Act, 1865, is hereby repealed.2. Notwithstanding the repeal of the Carriers Act, 1865, anything done or any action taken under the ...