Short title and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act, 1886; and (2) It shall come into force on such day as the Central Government, b...
This Act extends to the whole of India except [the territories which, immediately before the 1st. November, 1956, were comprised in Part B States].] ...
In this Act, unless there is something repugnant in the subject or context,- "sign" includes mark, when the person making the mark is unable to write his n...
Saving of local laws
Nothing is this Act, or in any rule made under this Act, shall affect any law heretofore or hereafter passed providing for the registration of births and dea...
Power exercisable from time to time
All powers conferred by this Act may be exercised from time to time as occasion requires. ...
|Chapter II||General Registry Offices Of Births. Deaths And Marriages|
Establishment of general registry offices and appointment of registrars General
(1) Each State Government. (a) shall establish a general registry office for keeping such certified copies of registers of births and deaths registers of birt...
Indexes to be kept at general registry office
Each Registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages shall cause indexes of al the certified copies of registers sent to his office under this Act, or under...
Indexes to be open to inspection
Subject to the payment of the prescribed fees, the indexes so made shall be at all reasonable times open to inspection by and person applying to inspect them,...
Copies of entries to be admissible in evidence
A copy of an entry given under the last foregoing section shall be certified by the Registrar general of Births, Deaths and Marriages, or by an office author...
Superintendence of Registrars by Registrar General
Each registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages shall exercise a general superintendence over the Registrars of Births and Deaths in the territories fo...
|Chapter III||Registration Of Births And Deaths|
Persons whose births and deaths are registrable
(1) the person whose births and deaths shall, in the first instance, be registrable under this Chapter are the following, namely:- (a) in the territories to w...
Power for State Government to appoint Registrars for its territories Section 13 repealed by the A. O. 1950
The State Government may appoint, either by name or by virtue of their office, so many person as it thinks necessary to be Registrars of Births and Deaths for...
Registrar to be deemed a public servant
Every registrar of Births and Deaths shall be deemed to be a public servant within the meaning of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860). ...
|15||[repealed by the A. O. 1937]|
Office and attendance of Registrar
(1) Every Registrar of Births and Deaths shall have an office in the local area, or within the part of the territories or dominions, for which he is appointed...
Absence of registrar or vacancy in his office
(1) When any Registrar of Births and Deaths to whom the State Government may direct this section to apply15, not being a registrar of Births and Deaths for a...
Register books to be supplied and preservation of records to be provided for
The State Government shall supply every Registrar of Births and Deaths with a sufficient number of register books of births and of register books of deaths, ...
Duty of Registrar to register births and deaths of which notice is given
Every Registrar of Births and Deaths, on receipt of notice of a birth or death within the local area or among the class for which he is appointed, shall, if t...
Persons authorized to give notice of birth
Any of the following persons may give notice of a birth, namely:- (a) The father or mother of the child; (b) any person present at the birth; (c) any person...
Persons authorized to give notice of death
Any of the following persons may give notice of a death, namely:- (a) any relative of the deceased having knowledge of any of the particulars required to be ...
Entry of birth or death to be signed by person giving notice
(1) When an entry of a birth or death has been made by the Registrar of Births and Deaths under section 19, the person giving notice of the birth or death mus...
Grant of certificate of registration of birth or death
The Registrar of Births and Deaths shall, on application made at the time of registering any birth or death by the person giving notice of the birth or death...
Duty of Registrars as to sending certified copies of entries in register books to Registrar General
(1) Every Registrar of Births and Deaths in 11[the territories to which this Act extends] shall send to the Registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages...
Search and copies of entries in register books
(1) Every registrar of Births and Deaths shall, on payment of the prescribed fees, at all reasonable times, allow searches to be made in the register books ke...
Exceptional provision for registration of certain births and deaths
Notwithstanding anything in section 19, the 20[State Government] may make rules authorising Registrars of Births and Deaths, on conditions and in circumstance...
Penalty for willfully giving false information
If any person wilfully makes, or causes to be made, for the purpose of being inserted in any register of births or deaths, any false statement in connection ...
Correction of entry in register of births or deaths
(1) If it is proved to the satisfaction of a Registrar of births and Deaths that any entry of a birth or death in any register kept by him under this Act is ...
|Chapter IV||Amendment of Marriage Acts Repealed By The Repealing Act, 1938 (1 Of 1938)|
|Chapter V||Special Provisions As To Certain Existing Registers|
Permission to persons having custody of certain records to send them within one year to Registrar General
If any person in the territories to which this Act extends] has for the time being the custody of any register or record of birth, baptism, naming, dedication...
Appointment of Commissioners to examine registers
(1) Any State Government in the case of registers or records sent under section 32 to the Registrar General for the territories under its administration, ma...
Duties of Commissioners Appointment of Commissioners to examine registers
(1) The Commissioners appointed under the last foregoing section shall enquire into the state, custody and authenticity of every such register or record as ma...
Searches of lists prepared by Commissioners and grant of certified copies of entries
(1) Subject to the payment of the prescribed fees, the descriptive list or lists of registers or records, or portions of registers or records, delivered by th...
Constitution of additional commissions for purposes of this Chapter
(1) the State Government may be notification in the Official Gazette] appoint more Commissions than one for the purposes of section 33, each such Commission ...
(1) The State Government, for each State, may make rules to carry out the purposes of this Act. (2) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of ...
|37||[repealed by the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Amendment Act, 1911]|