Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Atomic Energy Act, 1962. (2) It extends to the whole of India. (3) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Gover...
Definitions and interpretation
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,- (a) "atomic energy" means energy released from atomic nuclei as a result of any process, includi...
General Powers of the Central Government
Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Central Government shall have power- (a) to produce, develop, use and dispose of atomic energy 2[either by itself o...
Notification of discovery of uranium or thorium
(1) Every person who, whether before or after the commencement of this Act, has discovered or discovers that uranium or thorium occurs at any place in India s...
Control over raining or concentration of substances containing uranium
(1) If the Central Government is satisfied that any person is mining or is about to mine any substance from which, in the opinion of the Central Government, u...
Disposal of uranium
(1) No minerals, concentrates and other materials which contain uranium in its natural state in excess of such proportion as may be prescribed by notification...
Powers to obtain in for information regarding materials, plant or processes
The Central Government may, by notice in writing served on any person, require him to make such periodical and other returns, or statements at such times and ...
Power of entry and inspection
(1) Any person authorized by the Central Government may, on producing, if so required, a duly authenticated document showing his authority, enter any mine, pr...
Power to do work for discovering
(1) The Central Government may, subject to the provisions of this section, do on, over or below the surface of any land such work as it considers necessary fo...
Compulsory acquisition of rights to work minerals
(1) Where it appears to the Central Government that any minerals from which in its opinion any of the prescribed substances can be obtained are present in or ...
Compulsory acquisition of prescribed substances, minerals and plants
(1) Save as otherwise provided in any other provision of this Act, the Central Government may compulsorily acquire in accordance with the provisions of this s...
Compensation in case of compulsory acquisition of a mine
Where the Central Government acquires, in accordance with any law, any mine or part of a mine from which in the opinion of the Central Government any of the p...
Novation of certain contracts
(1). The Central Government may serve on the parties to a contract relating to prospecting or mining of any substance from which any of the prescribed substan...
Control over production and use of atomic energy
(1) The Central Government may, subject to such rules as may be made in this behalf, by order prohibit except under a license granted by it- (i) the working o...
Requisitioning of any substance for extracting uranium or plutonium
(1) The Central Government shall have the right to require that any substance which, in the opinion of the Central Government, contains uranium, plutonium or ...
Control over radioactive substances
The Central Government may prohibit the manufacture, possession, use, transfer by sale or otherwise, export and import and in an emergency, transport and disp...
Special provisions as to safety
(1) The Central Government may, as regards any class or description of premises or places, being premises or places, in which radioactive substances are manuf...
Restriction on disclosure of information
(1) The Central Government may by order restrict the disclosure of information, whether contained in a document, drawing, photograph, plan, model, or in any o...
Prevention of entry into prohibited areas
The Central Government may by order prohibit- (a) entry of any person, without obtaining permission, into a prohibited area, and (b) taking by any persons, w...
Special provisions as to inventions
(1) As from the commencement of this Act, no patents shall be granted for inventions which in the opinion of the Central Government are useful for or relate t...
Principles relating to payment of compensation
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this Act, where by reason of exercise of any powers under this Act, any compensation is payable, the amount of such compensa...
Special provision as to electricity
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948, the Central Government shall have authority- (a) to develop a sound and adequat...
Administration of Factories Act, 1948
Notwithstanding anything contained in the Factories Act, 1948, the authority to administer the said Act and to do all things for the enforcement of its provis...
Offences and penalties
(1) Whoever- (a) contravenes any order made under section 14 or any condition subject to which a license is granted under that section; or (b) contrav...
Offences by companies
(1) Where an offence under this Act has been committed by a company, every person who at the time the offence was committed was in charge of, and was responsi...
Cognizance of offences
(1) All offences under this Act shall be cognizable under the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898, but no action shall be taken in respect of any person for any ...
Delegation of powers
The Central Government may, by order, direct that any power conferred or any duty imposed on it by this Act shall, in such circumstances and subject to such c...
Effect of other laws
The provisions of this Act shall have effect notwithstanding anything inconsistent therewith contained in any enactment other than this Act or any other instr...
Protection of action taken in good faith
No suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie against the Government or any person or authority in respect of anything done by it or him in good fa...
Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification, make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Act. (2) In particular, and without prejudice to the genera...
Act binding on Government
The provisions of this Act shall be binding on Government....
Repeal of Act 29 of 1948
The Atomic Energy Act, 1948, is hereby repealed. ...
1. Inserted by the Atomic Energy (Amendment) Act, 1987 (Act No. 29 of 1987), dated 8th September, 1987. 2. Inserted by Act No. 29 of 1987, dated 8th Septembe...