Aadhaar card is a 12-digit unique identity number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), a central government agency of India. It serves as a proof of identity and address, anywhere in India. Any individual, irrespective of age and gender, who is a resident in India and satisfies the verification process laid down by the UIDAI, can enrol for Aadhaar. The enrolment is free of cost and needs to be done once voluntarily (it is not mandatory).
The information in an Aadhaar Card is highly confidential. However, the information can be revealed in two circumstances:
In the interest of national security - A Joint Secretary in the central government may issue a direction for revealing,
- Aadhaar number
- biometric information (iris scan, finger print and other biological attributes specified by regulations)
- demographic information
On the order of a court–the following documents may be revealed
- an individual’s Aadhaar number
- demographic information
- To apply for Aadhaar card go to any authorized Aadhaar enrolment centre anywhere in India with your identity and address proof.
- Fill out the forms that are available for free at the centre itself, or you may choose to download it online.
- At the time of enrolment, your photo, finger-prints and iris scan will be taken. Carefully review the details you have provided and make corrections, if any, during the enrolment itself.
- During enrolment, you will receive an acknowledgment slip, till the time you don’t receive your original Aadhaar Card copy.
- The information details will be verified centrally before you are issued Aadhaar Card.
- On successful verification, you will first receive an SMS and/or email notification and later after a few days your Aadhaar number will be printed and sent to your address through post.
In order to locate the nearest Aadhaar card enrolment centre, follow the steps:
- Go to the UIDAI Online resident portal, also called Aadhaar kiosk. Resident Uidai
- From the menu on the left side of the page, select the option ‘Locate Enrolment centre’.
- Enter the state you live in, the district and your locality/ area.
- After submit the search results will appear below the search bar.
- The search results give the following details about the nearest centre – Precise address, Name of the person you can
contact, phone numbers, starting date of the centre and also the type of the centre.
Here is the list of documents that are accepted as a proof of identity and address -
- PAN Card.
- Ration/ PDS Photo Card.
- Voter ID Card.
- Driving License.
- NREGS Job Card.
- Photo Bank ATM Card.
- Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution.
- Government Photo ID Cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU.
- Arms License.
- Photo Credit Card.
- Pensioner Photo Card.
- Kisaan Photo Passbook.
- CGHS / ECHS Photo Card.
- Freedom Fighter Photo Card.
- Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts.
- Certificate of Identity having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead 18. Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations