Registration of trademark in India is not compulsory. However, a registered trademark protects and recognizes your individual rights over that good or service. On a cost-benefit analysis registering your trademark has the advantage of protecting the goodwill of your business. The benefits of a registered trademark are multi-fold:
- Identifies the origin of goods and services;
- Advertises goods and services;
- Guards the goodwill of your business or trader;
- Prevents misuse of a popular brand name by local vendors to sell low quality goods;
- Protects legal rights in the event of any litigation;
- Recognition of brand name.