1. : In India, as we know that the Constitution is the supreme and land of all law. Constitution states that every law should be in conformity with the Constitution and all laws get its power from it. Article 83 (2) deals with the tenure of Lok Sabha that the tenure will be for 5 years unless dissolved earlier and the same for the state assembly under Article 172. State governments are also empowered that they can dissolve the assemblies before the tenure ends but the problem is this if they dissolve the assemblies for simultaneous election, it will be a violation of the Constitution. Article 356 empowers the president to dissolve the state assembly in case of emergency. It means the President is also bound by the Constitution.
2 . Similar parties government in state and centre : After applying the idea of simultaneous election, there is the possibility of similar government at the state and centre level. It happened in the election of the year 1952, 1957 and 1962. It creates a problem when most of the voters want to elect a candidate in the state is that party which is not having any possibility to come to the centre. So at that time, the voter will not give the vote to that candidate while voting for that party which is having the possibility to come in the union. Thus there will not be fair voting and it will harm the soul of democracy and the situation will be just like a one-party rule in the whole nation and there will be no opposition to any action.
3 . : It will be the biggest problem in simultaneous election to have consent of regional party because there is always a tendency for voters to vote the same party in state and at the Centre in case the Lok Sabha polls and the state elections are held together and without the coordination of state parties simultaneous election is not possible.
4 . Lack of paramilitary force : In every election whether of state or centre the paramilitary force is needed. In 2016 election of Bihar legislative assembly election the chief minister Nitish Kumar demanded the paramilitary force for the election. This is my opinion that each state does not want to put its police during election due to fear of biases. So it is not possible to employ force in every state for the election because there is only 700-800 companies of paramilitary force are available as of now while 3500 companies are required.
Benefits of One Nation One Election
- There will be ample time for the state legislature to discuss on policy or to implement the policies
- It will reduce the cost of an election
- It will be good for those who reside outside India because if they come to vote on election then there will be an opportunity for them to vote in all elections at one time.
- Frequent elections lead to senior leaders at the Centre getting involved with campaigning often at the cost of their ministerial work suffering.
Thus as we can say after the study of these arguments that there are strong arguments on both side. If the simultaneous election happens, there will be some problem for our nation but it is time to think beyond the boundaries and traditional limit and try to understand the implications of the simultaneous elections.
Legistify connects you with the best lawyers in India and top Chartered Accountants in India with simple telephonic conversation or email. Call us at 846-883-3013 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.