5. Right to maternity, medical and employment-related benefits : Maternity Benefit Act (1961) regulates the employment of women in certain establishments for certain period before and after childbirth and provides for maternity benefit and certain other benefits. Equal Remuneration Act (1976) provides for payment of equal remuneration to both men and women workers for same work or work of a similar nature. It also prevents discrimination on the ground of sex, against women in recruitment and service conditions.
6. Right against female foeticide : Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, 1971 , provides for the termination of certain pregnancies by registered medical practitioners on humanitarian and medical grounds. Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Technique (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act, 1994, prohibits sex selection before or after conception and prevents the misuse of pre-natal diagnostic techniques for sex determination leading to female foeticide.
7. Right to free legal aid : Legal Services Authorities Act (1987) provides free legal services to Indian women. It is mandatory for the Station House Officer (SHO) to inform the legal service authorities to arrange for a lawyer.
8. Right not to be arrested at night : A woman cannot be arrested after sunset and before sunrise except in exceptional cases on orders on First Class Magistrate.
9. Right to dignity and decency : It shall be the duty of every citizen of India to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women [Article 51-A(e) ] .
The following other legislation also consists of certain rights and safeguards for women:
- Employees State Insurance Act (1948)
- Plantation Labour Act (1951)
- Bonded Labour System (Abolition) Act (1976)
- Legal Practitioners (Women) Act (1923)
- Indian Succession Act (1925)
- Indian Divorce Act (1869)
- Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act (1936)
- Special Marriage Act (1954)
- Foreign Marriage Act (1969)
- Indian Evidence Act (1872)
- Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act (1956)
Legistify connects you with the best lawyers in India and top Chartered Accountants in India with simple telephonic conversation or email. Call us at 011-33138123 or send us an email at email@example.com to get started.