Never share an official Government license or document physically, Courtesy DigiLocker
Published on 26 Feb 2018 by Tushar
Easy storage, access and sharing of Government issued official documents with Agencies which can be called as ‘Requesters’
- Documents which are issued by Ministries, Government departments, as well as business or private entities, provide can be stored on this cloud-based storage platform for easy access, self-attestation and sharing.
- DigiLocker facilitates the direct issuance of documents after verification ( without any human intervention).
- Requesters of such documents can be banks, Financial Institutions, companies as well as the Government can request to receive documents from your digi-vault.
- The request which would otherwise have to be fulfilled by physical documents can be obliged albeit with your consent to provide you instant services or products which are dependent on KYC and other proofs.
- Once you create a DigiLocker account, you can see the full list of issuers and requesters by clicking on the respective heads.
What is DigiLocker?
In a bid to take the digital movement further, the Government has come up with a cloud-based platform known as DigiLocker.
- DigiLocker has been launched by the Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DietY), under the Ministry of Communications & IT.
- DigiLocker is not Dropbox, or any other cloud storage facility, it is much more!
- DigiLocker is a cloud service to avail Government Services primarily which cannot be offered by other services for this is the official storage sponsored by the Government, although it can be used for personal storage as well.
- A DigiLocker can be accessed only if you have Aadhaar Card and the registration is only possible through your Mobile Number and Email address linked with the Aadhaar Database.
- Hence to keep in tune with attempts to regulate and systematise all personal data of citizens, the mandate has been put on the citizens to update your email and mobile number, whenever the same is changed.
What is the buzz about?
- With Digilocker you now store your PAN (Permanent Account Number) on the platform.
- The PAN Card integration was rolled out by the government this week, which allows you to access real-time PAN verification record from Income Tax (IT) Department.
- Aadhar- Previously, DigiLocker had partnered with Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to make it available automatically to its users when they link their DigiLocker account with Aadhaar.
- PAN- Now, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has partnered with DigiLocker for a similar facility to that of the Aadhar storage for the PAN card.
Steps to integrate your PAN with Digilocker
Step 1 Sign up with DigiLocker using your Aadhar* if you haven't done it already.
*How to store Aadhaar with DigiLocker?
- Click on DigiLocker official website- digilocker.gov.in and create your account.
- After creating DigiLocker account, it will ask for your 'Aadhaar number'.
- Enter your 'Aadhaar number'.
- You will receive an OTP on your Aadhaar registered mobile number. Enter the OTP and verify it.
- The Aadhaar card will be stored with DigiLOcker account.
Step 2 Login into DigiLocker and go to "issued documents" on the left-hand side. You should be able to see a link for "pull documents" (highlighted in the image above.) Click on it.
Step 3 Select "Income Tax Department" from the drop-down for partner name and "PAN Card" from document type.
Step 4 Your name and date of birth will be pre-filled from your Aadhar details. Make sure they match with your PAN details. Enter your PAN Number and select gender from the drop down option. Then, check the consent box and click on "Get Document." Congratulations, your PAN data will now be fetched by DigiLocker and can the link be accessed under "issued documents."
Benefits of using DigiLocker:
Convenience- Citizens can access their digital documents anytime, anywhere and share it online. This is highly convenient and saves times. For example, your CBSE migration certificates and mark sheets can be directly issued in your DigiLocker if you have attended a CBSE school. These documents provided directly by an issuing authority don’t need further verification when you share them.
- Sarkari Naukri vs Private job: If you avail any cloud service, it’s a hassle to scan and upload the documents. In DigiLocker, all Government documents will be made available by the ‘issuer’ authority in the digitized format. Only personal documents would have to be scanned and uploaded. Secondly, some of the private cloud services are available on a paid basis. Few banks also provide online storage space to premium customers but what if tomorrow you would like to close the account or no longer enjoy premium benefits. Cloud storage of Government can be relied upon in terms of security and availability.
- Curbing Fraud- Digital Locker makes it easier to validate the authenticity of documents as they are issued directly by the registered issuers.
- E-Sign / Self-attestation/ Digital Signature- Self-uploaded documents can be e-Signed which is similar to the process of self-attestation.
- What this does is replaces the need for any physical document as well as physical signature.
- The user can sign the document via Aadhaar linked digital signature.
- You can also sign “Uploaded Documents” besides “Digital Documents”.
- The best part is eSign facility is Free whereas, for digital signatures, you need to pay annual fees.
Step 5. Going Paperless - certificates like a Driving License, Registration Certificate, mark sheets need not be copied and kept physically because whenever you need them, the signed copies can be retrieved from source making them authentic and verified records copies of the certificates.
Legistify connects you with the best lawyers in India and top Chartered Accountants in India with simple telephonic conversation or email. Call us at 846-883-3013 or send us an email at [email protected] to get started.