Can Defamation Suit Be Filed After Proven Innocent?

A person was involved in a criminal case but later nothing was found true and got exonerated. Will highlighting this in public amount to defamation to that person and can he sue the one who made such statement?
Posted 1 year ago  |    0  | 
Criminal Defense,General Legal
Criminal Defense General Legal

1 Answer(s)


Was the issue highlighted in public prior or subsequent to the accused being exonerated by the court? If yes it was highlighted subsequent to the verdict of the court, then he can certainly file for defamation. Whether the mere fact that he stood exonerated by the court would entitle him to bring an action for defamation depends on the facts of the case.

Top General Legal Lawyers In India

Have an urgent need? Talk to a lawyer directly.

Need Free Legal Advice?

Find, consult & hire best advocates in India in a few clicks.

Need Legal Agreements?

Create affidavits, contracts etc. online, within minutes.