Can a girl file a rape case against her boyfriend who promised her to marry and is now refusing to marry?

I have had a boyfriend since a couple of years and also had sexual relationship with him because he promised to marry me. Now he is refusing to marry me. Can I file a case for rape against him?
Posted 1 year ago  |    0  | 
Criminal Defense
Criminal Defense

1 Answer(s)

Prateek Kumar

Do you have any documentary evidence that your boyfriend promised to marry you and on basis of said promise you have sexual relations with him, any emails, sms given by your boyfriend. If so file suit for damages against your boyfriend. The Bombay High Court has ruled that sexual relationship with a woman on a false promise of marriage does not amount to rape “Every act of sexual intercourse between two adults on the assurance of promise of marriage does not become rape, if the assurance or promise is not fulfilled later on by the boy. When a grown up, educated and office-going woman subjects herself to sexual intercourse with a friend or colleague on the latter's promise that he would marry her, she does so at her own peril. She must be taken to understand the consequences of her act and must know that there is no guarantee that the boy would fulfill his promise.

Top Criminal Defense Lawyers In India

Have an urgent need? Talk to a lawyer directly.

Need Free Legal Advice?

Find, consult & hire best advocates in India in a few clicks.

Need Legal Agreements?

Create affidavits, contracts etc. online, within minutes.